Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rslade
Influencer II

Security theatre and pandemic panics

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few weeks, you've seen videos, on the news, showing workers (and sometimes huge trucks) in China, Korea, and other places, spraying, and often fogging, huge outdoor areas.  Supposedly this is doing something about the new (that's what "novel" means) covid-19 coronavirus.

Now, washing your hands, and possibly surfaces, regularly is a good preventative measure.  But this isn't washing.  It's just spraying (or fogging).  Spraying surfaces with bleach, if there is a risk that they've been contaminated, or even just on a regular basis, probably will kill most bacteria, and even most viruses.  But this obviously isn't bleach, because it's often being sprayed around food markets, and you don't want bleach all over your piles of fresh fish fillets.

I can't (and my opinion was seconded by an infectious disease expert) think of anything that you can randomly spray around large areas that would a) kill viruses, and, at the same time b) not kill people (or, at least, seriously compromise respiratory systems).

But, when people are scared, you (as a government) must be seen to be doing something, even if the "something" does nothing to address the actual risk.

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468
2 Replies
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

Ah yes, like the sudden strange restriction in airports and random bag inspections at company's.  Last time I was stopped I asked the guard what he'd been asked to look for.  He didn't know why he was searching bags, he'd just been told to do so.   I felt much safer as I headed across the company car park with a laptop bag containing a company issued laptop, mouse and charger.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
CraginS
Defender I

@Steve-Wilme wrote:

Ah yes, like the sudden strange restriction in airports and random bag inspections at company's.  Last time I was stopped I asked the guard what he'd been asked to look for.  He didn't know why he was searching bags, he'd just been told to do so.   I felt much safer as I headed across the company car park with a laptop bag containing a company issued laptop, mouse and charger.

Steve,

Recall in 2014 we had TSA searching bags at the airport for Bitcoins.

The First Person report on Reddit:

TSA "saw" Bitcoin in my bag and wanted to count it. Funniest thing I've seen do far

More complete 1st Person blog article:

The TSA is looking for Bitcoin

A contemporaneous news report on the situation:

TSA Reportedly Demands To Inspect Man’s Luggage For Bitcoin [Updated]

Doncha just love it?

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts