cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

Security Engineering, 3rd Edition, (Ross Anderson) IN PROGRESS

This is truly big news.

Ross Anderson has announced he is working on a third edition of his book Security Engineering. Even better, he is putting draft chapters online for us to read and comment!

Here is what Dr. Anderson said, a comment to Bruce Schneier's blog article on visa denials for cryptographers.

=-=-=-=

Ross Anderson • May 17, 2019 8:03 AM
It was an award for my book on security engineering, at which I had to announce by video rather than in person that there will be a third edition.

The chapters will come online as I write them for review and comment.

Here are the first two, including a chapter on threat actors that summarises not just what we know about cybercrime, but what we learned from Ed Snowden – and a chapter on the implications for the privacy landscape

https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2019/05/17/security-engineering-third-edition/

I thought it curious that almost six years after the disclosures nobody had written a concise summary of what we learned.

=-=-=-=

Every infosec/cybersec professional and serious student should have both of those links bookmarked, and read Dr. Anderson's chapters regularly!

For a related discussion based on the Schneier blog article, see the post by Grandpa Rob @rslade on Ross Anderson.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
3 Replies
ericgeater
Community Champion

I just purchased the 3E.  After the snow melted, it finally arrived at my house.  You're absolutely correct; I've really enjoyed reading this book just from the outset, and I'm only in the first couple of chapters!

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."
CraginS
Defender I

@ericgeater wrote:

I just purchased the 3E.  

I had discarded my 1st and 2nd editions after retiring and moving. However, I will be teaching again in th fall, so ordered 3rd a few minutes ago. Wiley charges full prices; solid discount from Amazon.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
sventester
Newcomer II

I enjoyed the book, especially chapter 2.2.
I recently started researching how intrusive Google Android phones are, and how much data they capture can be utilized by other entities. It's good that people are writing about it. I already installed a custom OEM (e OS) and are have gotten some of my friends to do the same.
Thanks for the recommendation!