Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CV_SEC
Newcomer II

Isc2 Special Interest Group

Any interest in starting a board here for sharing experiences, ideas, questions, issues relating to deployment of connected vehicles, autonomous vehicles and other emerging mobility tech that brings with it a plethora of data security / privacy issues?

I'm Program Manager for one of USDOT's connected vehicle pilots. This field is going to blow wide open and the workforce talent is going to evolve rapidly. I am presenting at an upcoming conference on "when your car is smarter than your mechanic, data privacy concerns at the dealership"

As part of my CV Pilot we are providing workforce development via a partnership with the local community College. We are using paid interns from the master mechanic program to assist in installs of the aftermarket devices in participant cars. In addition to physically installing, they are involved in configuring software/firmware parameters and getting briefed on how to perform maintenance on returning vehicles while protecting the integrity of the hardware security module (embedded encryption).

Please weigh in on your thoughts about the value of such a group. There exists an Auto-ISAC but membership is limited and I want to include the thought leadership of (ISC)2 as a whole not just those in a tightly focused niche.

Thanks

2 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

You interns should each provided with man(person) portable pinch and be trained to recognize an emergent pack-swarm of Google-esque murder-bots bootstrapping to sentience to take revenge on their fleshy creators... Sorry couldn't resist.
Badfilemagic
Contributor II

The new issue of IEEE Computing Edge has an article on vehicular PKI, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Smart/interconnected vehicles are something I'm aware of, along with most people on the internet. I wouldn't consider myself a domain expert in them or any of their particular protection needs beyond what common sense might inform. Honestly, I'm most likely to avoid the issue by postponing buying any such thing as long as I can due to being a professional paranoid 😉

If you do happen to find some experts in this niche and start a discussion group here, I'd likely follow it with interest but I'm not sure how much value I'd really bring to the discussion.  Solid wallflower though.

-- wdf//CISSP, CSSLP