Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Ignore that FBI. We're the real FBI !

Don't open that malware mail from the Feds that's not from the Feds, Feds warn.The Feds' Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) issued an alert on Wednesday warning that it has received numerous complaints from citizens who have received emails purporting to be from IC3. Each message states that the recipient is due money as compensation from a cyber-attack, and asks them to fill out the attached document with their personal details – and, yup, you guessed it – that file is laden with malware. 

The email claims a Nigerian had been arrested by the FBI in Atlanta, USA, and that the recipient's email address had been found on the imaginary scammer's computer. All the mark has to do to pocket their windfall is return the document with their contact details and wait for the cash to arrive.

1 Reply
CraginS
Defender I

@AppDefects wrote:

... All the mark has to do to pocket their windfall is return the document with their contact details and wait for the cash to arrive.

We really need to reinforce the idea that Rule #1 for unsolicited e-mail (no matter who the apparent sender may be) is

Is this TGTBT*?

*Too Good To Be True

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts