cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

(ISC)² Membership Grows to 150,000 Cybersecurity Professionals

Membership-Milestones-banner-150k.jpg

We are proud to announce that (ISC)² membership has grown to more than 150,000 in 175 countries. You can read more about it here

What does this milestone mean to you (more professionals to network with, more certified professionals to help close the skills gap, etc.)? How has having a certification from (ISC)² helped you in your career? 

Leave us a comment on this post and I might incorporate it into a blog post on this topic. 

Thank you in advance for commenting and thank you to all of you for your part in contributing to a safe and secure cyber world. 

ISC2 Community Manager
3 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

AndreaMoore
Community Manager

🙂 Awesome. Thanks for sharing our good news too! I appreciate it.

Now...back to my questions...any answers people would like to share? 😉

What does this milestone mean to you (more professionals to network with, more certified professionals to help close the skills gap, etc.)? How has having a certification from (ISC)² helped you in your career? 

ISC2 Community Manager
emb021
Advocate I

@AndreaMoore wrote:

"more certified professionals to help close the skills gap"

Well, it depends on what you mean by "skills gap".

Are there not enough infosec folks to fill roles?  This isn't universal.  Or is it that some companies, due to a variety of practices, are finding it hard to fill roles.  Not the same.

Also, I see ISC2 certs are being more for mid-level and senior level roles.  Many companies seem to be struggling to get new folks into infosec roles, whom are not at the point to being able to get ISC2 certs.  CompTIA certs are pretty much the only ones available for them (leaving aside how you feel about them).

As to company practices that makes it hard to file roles.  Sadly, this is more difficult.  So long as companies continue to look for unicorns, create job descriptions that are unrealistic, don't match the position title, look for skill sets that are unreasonable to find, offer below market pay, and turn away qualified candidates, there will be problems.  Unfortunately, to address this, you need more work.  Companies need to be better educated as to what skill sets they should need (NIST work with NICE should help, but not certain how its having an effect).  And many honestly don't know what they should pay.  Salary surveys are out there, but are people using them.

This is a topic I think should be spun out in another thread.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow