Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

(ISC)² CISSP Certification Now Comparable to Masters Degree Standard

The Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) certification has been found comparable to Level 7 of the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF) in the UK, denoting that the certification is comparable to Masters degree standard.

This further validates the achievement of CISSP-certified professionals in their ongoing career and qualification progression and supports educational institutions looking to determine weighting of a relevant certification to award course credits. It follows the American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT®) recognizing six (ISC)² certifications as eligible for college credit.

The benchmarking of the CISSP was conducted by UK NARIC, the UK’s designated national agency responsible for providing information and expert guidance on academic, vocational and professional qualifications from across the world. UK NARIC conducted an in-depth independent benchmarking study of the CISSP certification, using its well-established methodology for credential evaluation. This involved reviewing core qualification components as well as a comparative analysis of the skills assessed during a candidate’s computer adaptive test (CAT) examination to the RQF.

The analysis saw UK NARIC conclude the qualification assessed knowledge and skills comparable to the RQF Level 7 standard, with clear emphasis on assessing specialized cybersecurity knowledge, understanding and application of skills including: organizational problem solving and decision making, awareness and correct use of industrial standards, policy and best practice, along with understanding and appropriate use of methodologies, techniques and training in relation to cybersecurity.

“Recognizing the CISSP as comparable to Masters level qualifications further underlines the robust educational and operational value of the certification within Europe,” said Deshini Newman, managing director EMEA at (ISC)². “It will support our members in their career progression as they embark on opportunities both within their own organizations and externally when applying for roles with degree entry criteria.”

The RQF is a framework developed by the UK Government to describe the demands in different qualifications across an eight-level scale. The RQF can be used to help understand how qualifications relate to each other. As the levels of the RQF have also been referenced to the eight levels on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF), the RQF and EQF can help employers understand and compare qualifications awarded in different countries, allowing for portability or transferability across the region.

UK NARIC’s independent benchmarking of the CISSP to the RQF enables certification holders to understand how their qualification compares in the context of the UK education system, and to the RQF.

UK NARIC’s recognition of the certification is effective immediately and extends to all members in good standing that hold the CISSP. If you have additional questions about your certification, please contact membersupport@isc2.org.

ISC2 Community Manager
30 Replies
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion
AppDefects
Community Champion

Only in the UK? Is there a concerted effort by (ISC)2 to advocate for this in America?

iluom
Contributor II

CraginS
Defender I

@iluom wrote: [05-13-2020 02:05 AM]

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/cissp-equal-masters-degree/

@AlecTrevelyan posted in Certifications ‎05-12-2020 04:50 PM

CISSP now officially recognised as being equivalent to a master's degree across the UK and Europe

and

@AndreaMoore posted in Industry News ‎05-12-2020 04:51 PM

Clearly this is hot news for the Community, and it should be.

My first reaction:

If (ISC)2 plans to routinely report this status in promoting the CISSP, it seem that it will make it legally and ethically impossible for (ISC)2 to forbid former CISSPs who have retired or voluntarily let their (ISC)2 memberships to relapse from using the phrase "former CISSP" or "retired CISSP." The accomplishment of achieving the the certification may well be equivalent to a master's degree, and as such a totally appropriate claim on resumés and c.v.s, without regard to subsequent membership status. Pursuing legal action against former (ISC)2 members who have honorably held the certification in the past for trademark infringement would be unconscionable and an interference with the free trade of offering professional services by such members.

(Obviously the same logic should not apply to one who had the certification withdrawn by (ISC)2 for cause.)

Given the multiple threads, I recommend continuing the conversion over in Andrea's "official" and fully developed announcement thread,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
CraginS
Defender I

@iluom wrote: [05-13-2020 02:05 AM]

CISSP Qualification Given Equal Status to Master’s Degree

CISSP now officially recognised as being equivalent to a master's degree across the UK and Europe

and

My first reaction:

If (ISC)2 plans to routinely report this status in promoting the CISSP, it seem that it will make it legally and ethically impossible for (ISC)2 to forbid former CISSPs who have retired or voluntarily let their (ISC)2 memberships lapse from using the phrase "former CISSP" or "retired CISSP." The accomplishment of achieving the the certification may well be equivalent to a master's degree, and as such a totally appropriate claim on resumés and c.v.s, without regard to subsequent membership status. Pursuing legal action against former (ISC)2 members who have honorably held the certification in the past for trademark infringement would be unconscionable and an interference with the free trade of offering professional services by such members.

(Obviously the same logic should not apply to one who had the certification withdrawn by (ISC)2 for cause.)

Given the multiple threads, I recommend continuing the conversion here in Andrea's "official" and fully developed announcement thread,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
CraginS
Defender I

@iluom wrote 05-13-2020 02:05 AM

CISSP Qualification Given Equal Status to Master’s Degree

and

My first reaction:

If (ISC)2 plans to routinely report this status in promoting the CISSP, it seem that it will make it legally and ethically impossible for (ISC)2 to forbid former CISSPs who have retired or voluntarily let their (ISC)2 memberships to relapse from using the phrase "former CISSP" or "retired CISSP." The accomplishment of achieving the the certification may well be equivalent to a master's degree, and as such a totally appropriate claim on resumés and c.v.s, without regard to subsequent membership status. Pursuing legal action against former (ISC)2 members who have honorably held the certification in the past for trademark infringement would be unconscionable and an interference with the free trade of offering professional services by such members.

Given the multiple threads, I recommend continuing the conversion in over Andrea's "official" and fully developed announcement thread,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
kevinkidder
Newcomer III

I think an important distinction here is that the UK NARIK views the CISSP requirements, and assessment as well as problem solving skills to be at the same level as Level 7 of the RQK. This isn't to say that if you have the CISSP, you can go ahead an get a free Masters degree. 

The skills assessed for the CISSP are very time sensitive, which is why the ISC requires that members are committed to stay current in the field with CPEs. The knowledge assessed will be outdated in a relatively short time frame. For example, quantum cryptography hasn't made it to the test yet that I know of, but probably will in the next few years. This is obviously not the case for a Masters degree. Masters degrees don't have ongoing requirements. The point made that the amount of knowledge and skills assessed are equivalent, while a boon for the ISC, is not necessarily defining. 

Firstly, the level equivalency is evaluate in the UK, or Europe. This is not lateral to the US, or any other country or region. Secondly, accredited colleges today have some acceptance of the CISSP as "credit" but it doesn't fulfill the entire program. 

Having done both, I can see how studying for the CISSP, practicing, and applying knowledge is probably equivalent in time and effort to the work I did for my masters degree. 

If nothing else, it helps boost the quality of the CISSP, and hopefully other certification bodies will follow the example and raise the level of difficulty and quality of their certifications to align with accreditation bodies to allow for a more current and comprehensive student body graduating in the future.

Kevin Kidder, CISSP, SSCP, GPEN, GCWN

denbesten
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

forbid former CISSPs.. from using the phrase "former CISSP"

I've long thought such a trademark infringement claim would not likely prevail.  At the heart of the matter is this element:

The plaintiff must also show that defendant's use of the mark is likely to cause confusion as to the affiliation, connection or association of defendant with plaintiff, or as to the origin, sponsorship, or approval of defendant's goods, services or commercial activities by plaintiff. 

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/trademark_infringement

This seems quite similar to "compare to Tylenol" appearing on the label for generic equivalents.