Hi All

A useful checklist for those wanting to configure their Social Media safely:

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/social-media-how-to-use-it-safely

Regards

Caute_Cautim

2 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

Some real good content there. Nice to see the section on "Understanding Your Digital Footprint." That's where I usually start in any conversation about security. If you choose to roller skate naked over broken glass and fire ants, it's probably just a matter of time before something bad happens. Is it any coincidence that alongside the proliferation of social media, we've had a rise in mental health challenges, particularly among youth? 

The one piece of advice I see a lot about "securing" social media and other accounts is two-step verification (glad the article did not call it multi-factor authentication, althought they do reference it). Frankly, I'd prefer to practice good password and not provide any additional information (like my phone number) to any online service. You do not make yourself more secure by giving up more information. A good password that you occasionally change to stay ahead of the crackers should be sufficient. I don't want to hand out my phone number because I have to assume that database will be stollen, and I don't want to give anyone more vectors in my life. I'd prefer one well-exercised control than two half-hearted ones.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion

@JoePete

This is either something off the books or a serious predilection:

“… If you choose to roller skate naked over broken glass and fire ants…”

Plus, I don’t think the fire ants signed up for this either…