Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Has facebook killed security and privacy?

Hi All

As this article from Forbes suggests security and privacy has been killed by Facebook:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kalevleetaru/2019/03/23/facebook-succeeded-in-killing-cybersecurity-lik...

"If not, perhaps it is time to simply publicly acknowledge that cybersecurity is no longer of any importance and blindly leap into our new security-less digital future."

Early retirement then?

Regards

Caute_cautim

1 Reply
Shannon
Community Champion

"If not, perhaps it is time to simply publicly acknowledge that cybersecurity is no longer of any importance and blindly leap into our new security-less digital future."

@Caute_cautim, it's clear that users' attitudes have become an issue here. Their reactions to security events related to Facebook would depend on their perception, and what Facebook's become for them: -

NEWS:  Facebook Breach: Thousands of users' personal information stolen!

Reaction, based on perception * : -

1. Addiction & Dependency:  "Wow, this is really significant --- I've got to post it on Facebook!"   Man Surprised
  2. Insignificant or Nuisance:  "Good thing I'm not active on it. But I'll have to disable notifications.Man Indifferent
  3. Cause for concern:  "So much for me securing my account! Guess it's time to delete it."  Man Frustrated

* This is assuming that the perception is entirely what's stated --- if it's mixed, the reactions would differ

At one time I was active on it, but broke off not because I was concerned about privacy; what annoyed me is that contacts / friends who hadn't interacted with me in years would post birthday wishes on my page --- as if we were always in touch!

Anyway, refraining from using it was difficult at first, but I soon got accustomed to that, after which it became a nuisance, & is now a security concern.

On the other hand, a person who gets introduced to it at an early age is going to get addicted & may not be able to give it up too easily. And if it's become a dependency, doing away with it may not be an option despite concerns.

Early retirement then?

Going by your post related to Kushner's comfort with WhatsApp, it's hard to imagine Facebook going away anytime soon, since it's the owner of that too.

Someone in politics might react to this by stating that 'an investigation will be conducted' --- but this may just be for the sake of maintaining a good public image.

(For all we know, an investigation will be launched using the very same app that has to be investigated)

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz