Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shannon
Community Champion

Google's 2FA Security Key --- You can't have it!

Yesterday I got an email from SANS  (newsbites@sans.org) which mentioned that Google is now selling its 2FA Security Keys on the online store, and provided links to reviews of it on The Verge, Bleeping Computer and CNet.

I was keen on checking this out to get some idea of what's included and all, but interestingly, when you click on a link to Google's store on any of the above-mentioned pages, you get redirected / find that the page isn't available.

I also checked related articles on Google Cloud and their blog, but in all cases, it was the same result, with a URL that doesn't lead anywhere. Either they've made fabulous sales or the product is already off the market!

I use 2FA whenever I can, in the case of Google I employ Google Authenticator on my phone, & if I can't use that, avail of the security codes, so I don't know if this would offer any advantage, at least to me...

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
3 Replies
CraginS
Defender I

@Shannon,

In the staff comments of that NewsBites issue (XX:69 31 Aug 2018), Stephen Northcutt reported that Google had already sold out of the devices when he tried to obtain one, but that he planned to get one soonest, and would report on using it as soon as he could.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Shannon
Community Champion

@CraginS wrote:

@Shannon,

In the staff comments of that NewsBites issue (XX:69 31 Aug 2018), Stephen Northcutt reported that Google had already sold out of the devices when he tried to obtain one, but that he planned to get one soonest, and would report on using it as soon as he could.

Yes, I'd noticed; I mentioned those 2 possibilities as a humorous reference to an article on ZNet; unfortunately I forgot to include the link in my earlier post.

Anyway, I'm keen on trying it, but nothing's up as of yet, so I suppose I'll have to be patient...

Shannon D'Cruz,
CISM, CISSP

www.linkedin.com/in/shannondcruz
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

A lot of ‘Potentials’ in the ZDNet article - I’d guess that there was a limited OEM run, might be worth reaching out to the PM team to see if they have any samples you could use for testing.