Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CISOScott
Community Champion

FireEye to bring in person terrible with cyber to be a keynote speaker at cyber conference

So FireEye wants to bring in someone who carelessly handled classified information to be a keynote speaker at their cyber conference? Someone who bypassed rules in order to circumvent inspection of her dealings and hide behavior that may have gotten her in trouble? Someone who destroyed evidence after being subpoenaed?

This is who they want to be a keynote speaker?

Hillary Clinton to be a keynote speaker at a CYBER conference??

Just lost a lot of respect for FireEye as a cyber security vendor.

16 Replies
dcontesti
Community Champion

Wow, just crossed that conference off my schedule.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

There are a number of ex black hats and disgraced former CISOs and CEOs on the talks circuit.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
AlecTrevelyan
Community Champion

I'm not American and have no opinion on Hilary or what she did or didn't do.

I would just say that, before writing her keynote off as having no worth, one of the most interesting speakers I have seen at a security conference is Nick Leeson. For those who are not aware this is the guy that brought down Barings Bank due to his rogue trading activities. He actually went to prison for what he did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Leeson

The reason why his talk was interesting is because he frames his life story in terms of risk management and corporate responsibility. What controls could have been put in place to stop him doing what he did, and what controls have been put in place as a result of his actions.

Therefore, I'd want to understand what Hilary was going to talk about first before deciding whether or not to watch - it may just be worth watching for the amusement factor anyway!

CISOScott
Community Champion

@Steve-Wilme wrote:

There are a number of ex black hats and disgraced former CISOs and CEOs on the talks circuit.  

Yes, but they actually know what they are talking about and I would expect they have something to contribute back to society. This person, not so much. I would expect an ex-black hat to be able to provide some deep insight into things relevant for cyber security. I don't expect much out of this one except a lot of hot air, double-speak, and complaining about foreign influence in an election that didn't have an effect on the outcome.  I expect it to be a continuation of her "Why I lost because of Russian hacking" excuse tour.

CISOScott
Community Champion

I guarantee this will be the "I lost due to Russian hacking" excuse tour. Since her election loss, she has blamed everyone and anything on her election loss. I expect the only reason she took this keynote (I mean aside from the cash) is just to blame "hacking" as a reason for her election loss. She is constantly putting out false narratives (also called lies) and refuses to own up to any of her mistakes.

Most of the reformed black hat hackers on the talk circuit have some sort of culpability for their actions. Not this one though. She blames everyone else but herself.

Flyslinger2
Community Champion

The Clinton's have always been about money and power.  They amassed a fortune without even lifting their pinky fingers.  I would be in jail for the same activities.

I do think her talk would be interesting. "How to navigate around all the requirements for having and keeping a US issued clearance."

Someone at FirEye is totally in her camp or this wouldn't have ever started.  If you pay someone who has broken the law then you also condone what they did. If that company holds Facilities clearances they should be re-evaluated also.

What is the value and purpose of a clearance if NO one respects them?

CraginS
Defender I

@CISOScott wrote:

Just lost a lot of respect for FireEye as a cyber security vendor.

And also for Kevin Mandia. Why is he stooping to curry favor with Hillary? What possible value can he imagine there may be for FireEye clients in hearing another whine on "The Russians Did Me In!"

I encourage FireEye employees in the Forum to pass this thread back to their corporate management.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
CraginS
Defender I

@CISOScott wrote:

So FireEye wants to bring in someone who carelessly handled classified information to be a keynote speaker at their cyber conference? Someone who bypassed rules in order to circumvent inspection of her dealings and hide behavior that may have gotten her in trouble? Someone who destroyed evidence after being subpoenaed?

If anyone doubts the validity of the above statements about Hillary's actions, watch FBI Director James Comey's press conference of July 5, 2016, or read the transcript also available, at

https://www.c-span.org/video/?412231-1/fbi-director-james-comey-criminal-prosecution-not-appropriate...

Don't trust any (probably biased) "news" site to summarize the listed actions, get them directly from Comey. He listed a very specific set of deliberate actions by Hillary that violated both government regulations as well as public law.

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
rslade
Influencer II

> I guarantee this will be the "I lost due to Russian
> hacking" excuse tour.

OK, how come this thread isn't being archived for posting "controversial political statements"?

Other posts: https://community.isc2.org/t5/forums/recentpostspage/user-id/1324864413

This message may or may not be governed by the terms of
http://www.noticebored.com/html/cisspforumfaq.html#Friday or
https://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/1468