Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDefects
Community Champion

Digital Drivers License

Say goodbye to your plastic drivers license! Google is about to change that by building into the next release of Android OS (11) mobile driving licenses that will be ISO 18013-5 compliant. I get ID checked all the time, so I like the feature that in "dead-battery mode" a device will reserve enough power to show the ID.

1 Reply
CraginS
Defender I

@AppDefects wrote:

... mobile driving licenses that will be ISO 18013-5 compliant. ...

Lots to think about.

1. ISO-18013-5 is not final, but still in development.

2. The New Mobile Driver Licenses — How to Use ISO 18013–5 by David Kelts , Apr 23, 2019 

Has a nice outline of how the standard should be implemented.

3. Thinking about the high-trust ID model that USA is about to require for air travel, the article at 2 above says:

Future Methods of Interaction
ISO 18013–5 provides for ‘namespace’ extensions to the data model to permit regional additions to standardized data (e.g., Real ID across just the USA).

4. It seems to me that the accumulation of digital data for each issued mDL could be the basis for building a universal registration system for people, much deeper than what we worry bout in USA, extended use of our Social Security Number. Aspects of privacy and disked levels of anonymity are going to be totally compounded by widespread use of mDL.

5. What other implementations for special purpose ID will this standard show up in?

6. What happens when some entity (government or other) tries to make mDL mandatory rather than an encouraged option?

7. Android, eh? I wonder if iOS at Apple and Win10 at Micro$oft are in development for a complaint release?

Gonna be interesting to watch.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts