cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Cybersecurity shortages

Hi All

This is a piece from an organisation working in collaboration with others organisations, which just illustrates the shortage of staff worldwide, although it is focused on USA.  Yes, they are promoting their wares, but the main point, is emphasising the shortage of cybersecurity professionals, they also give reasons, why the CXO's should not get rid of their security staff during a recession.

https://revolutionaries.zscaler.com/insights/cybersecurity-skills-shortage-provides-rare-cross-train...

Regards

Caute_Cautim

3 Replies
gidyn
Contributor III

There is a shortage of highly skilled and experienced professionals, willing to work in an infamously high-stress industry, for half the salary and triple the workload of those complaining about the alleged shortage.

CIOs average from three to five years of tenure. That's not caused by a skill shortage, and the problems aren't limited to CIOs. It's caused by a shortage of cybersecurity positions that a qualified and mentally healthy individual would want to remain in.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

As the economies around the world go into recession, I'd expect there to be further lay off in Tech and in CyberSecurity, rather than recruitment.  It's something to be mindful of, as you set off to get the requisite certificates and experience to enter a field, not everyone will succeed due to no fault of their own.  It's rather easy to view it with a survivorship bias that says; some of us are doing well, so it must be a great career path and forget that there's a element of good fortune involved.  

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
CISOScott
Community Champion

I wonder if the "cybersecurity workforce shortage" is affected by the general workforce shortage? I can only report what I have seen here in the United States. I have seen a decline in the number of people who are willing to work in general. Stores and restaurants closing early due to the inability to find workers. Fast food restaurants going to limited hours for dine-in eating and shifting to a drive-thru only mode. They have signs up everywhere that it is due to not enough employees. And there are signs everywhere about places needing workers and that they are hiring. The quality of workers has also decreased. I am also seeing the shift to kiosks and self-check outs happening more. Are people seeing this in other countries too?