Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adesoji
Newcomer II

BlockChain Security

Does anyone have any information or some sort of nugget on BlockChain Security?

Or some BlockChain Security Hygiene.

35 Replies
Flyslinger2
Community Champion

This may help you in your research: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3273931/blockchain/businesses-join-to-create-enterprise-standa...

My initial concern is the distributed model.  It will take a lot of engineering to assure a secure and solid technology.

Chuxing
Community Champion

Blockchain is still in its infancy, I am not sure which part of the technology is more vulnerable. The blockchain itself seems to be secure by default, but the reported issues are mostly related to the key security management.

Thanks for the response.

Quite informative!

Adesoji
Newcomer II

Thanks my friend!

Quite informative
Chuxing
Community Champion

@Adesoji,

As far as I am aware, no one has broken into the chain itself, whether Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, or others, but various bleaches did happen in either trading portals or personal wallets, thus stolen keys. 

The blocks themselves are very hard to hijack, due to the distributed verification by design.   

Happy cryptocurrency...

By the way, for those who is interested in how blockchain works, Princeton University has a series of lectures on YouTube that are very good, albeit you will need some fundamental knowledge of encryption, programming, and some other computer science basics. I assume most CISSPs do have that. 

Here's the link to the first lecture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOMVZXLjKYo&t=55s

Enjoy,

It's only a matter of time and power.
Once upon a time, people thought castles were impregnable.
Chuxing
Community Champion

In theory, one can break 64, 128, 256 bit encryption with enough "time and power", but there's yet to be one case...

In theory, if you control 51% of a specific blockchain nodes, say, Bitcoin, you can hijack the block...

Always be reminded, defense is also progressing during the same "time and power"...

Guess it's time to learn a bit more about what the heck is "blockchain" ...

Food for thought.

Everything in this realm has a weakpoint.

So, the earlier security professionals discovers and understand the weaknesses of blockchain the better in order for us to help protect it