Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

BioChipping Employees- Physical Security or Privacy?

Chipping pets has been around for years.

Chipping people has, too, but not nearly so wide spread.

The Guardian has reported that the idea of chipping employees is being discussed by employers, and unions are expressing concern.

Alarm over talks to implant UK employees with microchips
Trades Union Congress concerned over tech being used to control and micromanage

Consider:

Having chips in all employees and readers placed around the facility, in addition to being connected to IT systems for identification and authentication, could greatly benefit physical security and insider threat protection.

Of course, that same system could become an amazingly intrusive invasion of privacy.

So... would you recommend a chip program as part of the security program at a company you were advising?

Alternately, if your employer set up a voluntary chip program, would you get a chip?

Or, if your employer announced a mandatory program, would you quit?

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
48 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Seems odd responding to my own message, but another thought passed through what neural passageways that still exist.    Now once you are tagged, then all it would take is an instruction from a passing drone or Satellite to take that person rather like the action the Belgium Police took i.e. they neutralised the threat.

Regardes

Caute_cautim

Kempy
Newcomer III

Yeah combined with these drones it gives a whole new meaning to employee termination. 😞

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlO2gcs1YvM

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@Kempy   Oh wow, I just hope we have our minds and hearts open, when someone decides to press the go button on this one....  the ramifications could send the world spiraling into a free fall.

Or have we lost our morality already?

Regards

Caute_cautim

Wemack57
Newcomer II

I'm not for the chip, but how about an electronic shock collar for the ones that need a good shocking!

Happy Holidays to All Smiley Happy

Dr. Warren Mack, CISSP

chinoblue
Viewer

Personally, I would be happy to be chipped if it meant not having to carry door entry cards and smart cards for system access. I would also consider this for home locks too

However, I could see this being a major challenge to try and implement this in our organisation, an NHS site

wpatterson2
Viewer II

It is my opinion that employers should mind their business and stay out of their employees' bodies. It puts employees lives and their families at risk. It anything goes wrong and it will. The employee will be the one that has to defend themselves in court with their limited resources and mental stress while the business can putts around with their lawyers for years. 

The technology maybe OK and very attractive but it crosses a fine line of responsibility. If chip technology is implemented I need the option to opt-out. It gives the business too much control over my life!!

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Happy Christmas,  Maybe someone will give the employees a 2-3 week session of Mark Vette - the Dog Whisperer http://www.markvette.com/

They normally end up with an electronic dog collar, to remind them of who is the pack leader.

Regards

Caute_cautim

SOC_Puppet
Newcomer I

I can see the amazing benefits of a microchipping program. I see a lot of rhetoric around invasion of privacy but to be fair Im not as concerned as others.

RIght now, we carry smartphones, tablets, laptops and other forms of tech provided by our employer which can be used to track our activities and movements. Swipe tags anyone?

Microchips are passive devices, and can only be read when interacting with an EM field designed to read the contents. Generally the contents of a sub-dermal chip are tiny given the storage space, and usually just an ID number. Readers tend to be short range devices, for example my cat door utilises this tech to allow entrance to my cats and my cats only.

I dont see a massive privacy issue, its just harder to repudiate when you have an implanted chip.

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

One could always disable the antenna or aerial rendering them useless.

Is this a form of opt in and opt out?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

denbesten
Community Champion

@chinoblue wrote:

...I would be happy to be chipped if it meant not having to carry door entry cards...

There are plenty of low-drag options (RingsStickersKeyfobs, Watches) that do not include risk of infection or long-term biological compatibility

Plus, you might consider that there is little standardization in near field communication.  Companies use HID, home systems use wifi/bluetooth, payment systems use RFID and each vehicle manufacturer has a proprietary system.  Seems like you would run out of hands and feet before you ran out of things to unlock.