Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

Are Cyber Insurers running scared when Ransomware is profitable as Cocaine?

Hi All

An interesting set of issues from the UK and perspective from Life Insurance International:

https://www.lifeinsuranceinternational.com/news/cyber-insurers-running-scared-ransomware-as-profitab...

Should Ransomware payments be banned?

Regards

Caute_Cautim

2 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

Should Ransomware payments be banned?

An interesting take. Here's where it gets more interesting.  - if ransomware insurance payments (likely prompted by some court judgment) end up bankrupting an underwriter. Think about it, some large incident or series of incidents wipes out an underwriter. Now, that could jeopardize all the homeowner policies against flood or fire, worker's comp, auto policies, etc. You could see a domino effect like the U.S. saw with mortgage-backed securities in 2008. I suspect the underwriting industry has some safeguards so that we don't hit a full collapse, but this should be in the back of our minds. If a cyber insurance policy that was perceived to have a potential payout of $500,000 actually pays out $5 million (because that's what the ransomware gang asks), there are unavoidable ripples.

I think before the payments are banned, the underwriters will walk away from insuring against ransomware. It is just too unpredictable. But if that happens, how long is it until governments step in and with the power of regulation and force the underwriters back into the market?

chogan
Newcomer II

Ransoms should just not be paid.  Insurance should cover the costs of damages and restoration, but not paying ransoms. 

Ransomware is the epidemic it currently is because it is so profitable.  Take away the profit and the eventually the number of players will decline significantly.