cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Congress Month: Learning Opportunities

Re: Security Congress Month: Learning Opportunities

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Attending conferences is a great way to stay up to date on what is happening in the industry, trending information, and more. 

One of my favorite parts about attending conferences are the learning opportunities that also come with it. From pre-conference trainings to workshops, there are many ways to soak up the knowledge. 

At our own Security Conference we have both pre-conference trainings for certifications, OWASP, and more, plus dedicated workshops that you can attend throughout the conference. 

Share with us - what has been your most memorable learning opportunity that you have experienced at a conference?  

5 Comments
MikeGlassman
Contributor II

Morning,

Last year I did the OWASP, which was great, fun, and added a lot.

Previous years I've chose different items based on what I wanted more knowledge in.

I can say that I was pretty disappointed when I looked at the list of pre conference courses this year and saw the same as last year, which gives me a feeling that there won't be much diversity in what is going to be open to choose in the coming years, and this part of the conference has for me, been a great tool.

I'm hoping that coming years will show a diversity that was available when the conference was a joint one.

rslade
Influencer II
> SamanthaO_isc2 (Community Manager) posted a new article in (ISC)² Updates on

>     Share with us - what has been your most
> memorable learning opportunity that you have experienced at a conference?    

Swapping "war stories" with colleagues ...

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of
fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://is.gd/RotlWB
AppDefects
Community Champion

The CCSP boot camp training in 2018 was awesome! 

StacyMantzaris
ISC2 Team

New to This Year's Skills-Based Pre-ConferenceTraining Line Up - Failure is Not an Option – Achieving Lasting Success as CISO

Whether it is in your professional goals or not, learning the ins and outs of the CISO role and how a CISO thinks can be invaluable to any position throughout the information technology and security industry.  Gordon Rudd, experienced instructor and author of two recently released Professional Develop Institute immersive training courses focused on preparing to become a CISO and being successful in the CISO role will be leading an interactive pre-congress training session designed to help security professionals achieve success as a CISO. 

We want to hear from you – Are you interested in learning more about the training or have you already signed up? Feel free to leave questions and comments below!

Weigh in, your comments could be added to the training!  What are the biggest challenges CISO’s face today?  What is your best advice for a newly appointed CISO?

StacyMantzaris
ISC2 Team

Pre-Conference Training: OWASP Top 10 Hands-On

As you all know “The OWASP Top 10 is a powerful awareness document for web application security. It represents a broad consensus about the most critical security risks to web applications.”* Being prepared and knowing the Top 10 is a great way to set yourself up for success in your role as a security expert.

Training Details: Back by popular demand Kevin Johnson from Secure Ideas will be running a 2-day hands-on OWASP Top 10 workshop.  This pre-congress workshop will help security professionals understand proactive controls and evaluate their effectiveness.  Kevin is a knowledgeable and engaging instructor.  Be prepared to learn, practice and have fun with your industry colleagues.   

Do you use OWASP Proactive Controls to get your developers focused on security from the beginning?  Please share your experience, challenges and solutions. 

If you have any questions or comments about the training, feel free to send them below, we are more than happy to help!

*Source: https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Category:OWASP_Top_Ten_Project