cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operational Risk a Top Concern for 2018?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LyndsayT
ISC2 Former Staff

As it is January, I have been asking our EMEA Advisory Council and, whenever I get the chance, other members in our Region, about the big issues they anticipate for 2018. I haven’t asked for predictions necessarily, rather a view of what they believe will be dominating the day-to-day. Many of the top responses are to be expected:

• They anticipate GDPR panic as too many organisations around the world are only just beginning to appreciate its reach and the enormity of the task;
  • A rise in IoT vulnerability, or “Internet of Threats” (as they liked to put it) will continue to put on the pressure as security requirements continue to lag in the assessment of development criteria and;
  • A rise in globally sophisticated attacks that take advantage of the above, with more automation and AI pushing the boat out for the bad guys.

One area, however, feels quite new to me:

• The shift in Operational Risk – traditional resilience measures are becoming obsolete at a rapid rate leaving companies without the ability to actively monitor for security incidents, and/or understand how to cope with the dynamic infrastructure and scale they are developing as they move over to cloud infrastructures. Operational requirements are shifting with digital transformation and companies are asking not just how do we get more skilled talent; but also, how does the team need to evolve? 

What are your thoughts on this issue?  Are Security operations a Top concern?  Anything missing from the list?   Does it vary by region?

10 Comments