cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky in March

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky in March

Re: Lucky in March

Community Manager

This March we are getting lucky with Kudos!  In the spirit of last month's badge Show the Love, we're celebrating those who earn kudos this month. Earning Kudos is as easy as providing valuable contributions to the Community. Take a look at the badges you can earn below 

 

Lucky-in-March-Level1.png Earn this badge by receiving 5 Kudos throughout the month
Lucky-in-March-Level2.png Earn this badge by receiving 10 Kudos throughout the month
Lucky-in-March-Level3.png Earn this badge by receiving 20 Kudos throughout the month

 

Let us know if you have any questions or comments. 

6 Comments
Community Champion
> SamanthaO_isc2 (Community Manager) posted a new article in (ISC)² Updates on

> This March we are getting lucky with Kudos!  In the spirit of last month's
> badge Show the Love, we're celebrating those who earn kudos this month. Earning
> Kudos is as easy as providing valuable contributions to the Community. Take a
> look at the badges you can earn below
>    Earn this badge by receiving 5 Kudos
> throughout the month
> Earn this badge by receiving 10 Kudos throughout the month
> Earn this badge by receiving 20 Kudos throughout the month

As usual, I'm not Getting Lucky. So far this month I've got eight kudoes, more
than enough for the first badge. But, no badges for me!

====================== (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade@vcn.bc.ca slade@victoria.tc.ca rslade@computercrime.org
There is nothing in this world constant but inconstancy. - Swift
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://twitter.com/rslade
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
https://is.gd/RotlWB
Community Champion

@rslade, I have a hypothesis. The system works by testing you for luck --- but to be eligible for a test, you have to earn the specified number of Kudos. After that, the system's AI tosses a virtual coin. Heads: you're in luck & get the corresponding badge; tails... (Well, you know that part)

 

If you're awarded the 2nd or 3rd badge after earning the required number of Kudos without receiving a preceding one, that will prove it! Then again, the moderators can over-ride the AI --- so we'll probably never know...

 

Of course, there's the possibility of this system being designed to award badges after a specific duration / on specific dates, having a bug, or even that it's all manual --- but I don't need to let my imagination run wild in those areas.  Man LOL

 

 

 

Community Champion

I think sometimes it takes a while for the badge system to catch up. I have noticed that it is not immediate.

Community Champion

> Shannon (Advocate I) mentioned you in a post! Join the conversation below:

 

> @rslade, I have a hypothesis.

 

Intriguing ...

 

> The system words by testing you for luck

 

OK, that sounds reasonable: if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all ...

 

> --- but
> to be eligible for a test, you have to earn the specified number of Kudos. After
> that, the system's AI tosses a virtual coin. Heads: you're in luck & get the
> corresponding badge; tails... (Well, you know that part)

 

Seems to fit the pattern ...

 

>   If you're awarded
> the 2nd or 3rd badge after earning the required number of Kudos without
> receiving a preceding one, that will prove it!

 

Yes, a good, scientific test!

 

> Then again, the moderators can
> over-ride the AI --- so we'll probably never know...   Of course, there's the
> possibility of this system being designed to award badges after a specific
> duration / on specific dates, having a bug, or even that it's all manual --- but
> I don't need to let my imagination run wild in those areas.

 

Being an AI myself, I'll have to check my own code for those conditions. (How very Goedelish ...)

 

Actually, I believe that the current algorithm is: whenever @SamanthaO_isc2 gets a reminder/spare moment she (manually?) looks up the criteria for the "badge of the month" and sees if anyone qualifies.  (Looking up my own activity at the moment, I believe I have now "achieved" the required status for all three "lucky" badges for this month.  Faith and begorrah!)  I do not mean, by my postings of this type, to cast aspersions on @SamanthaO_isc2: I suspect she has lots of work to do and keeping up with badges is probably the least important aspect of the "community."  But I might just note that, if you are going to post a notice about a new "perk" for the "community," you might want to do a quick check and see if anyone qualifies before you make the announcement.  (It might demonstrate/prove, in a way, the the perk is actually real ...)  There do seem to be an awful lot of badges that are system generated, and I just noticed that I have now got a badge for receiving a number of kudoes.  (Getting a "super-like" for getting "likes" seems a tad self-referential ...)

Community Manager

Hello @rslade@CISOScott , & @Shannon ,

 

Thank you for posting here about this. While we do have some automatic badges in the Community, there are a few of them that are manual. This happens to be one of them. I usually perform the necessary work to award badges on a weekly schedule (when they are manual); however, I completely understand the feedback about launching something and not awarding badges at that moment to anyone who might have earned them already. I will take this into consideration for future badge campaigns that require more manual work to them. 

 

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know. 

 

Best, 

 

Samantha

 

 

Community Champion

> SamanthaO_isc2 (Community Manager) mentioned you in a post! Join the

> I completely understand the feedback about launching something and not
> awarding badges at that moment to anyone who might have earned them already. I
> will take this into consideration for future badge campaigns that require more
> manual work to them.

 

Thanks.

 

And thanks for the badges ...

 

isc2 community lucky.PNG