cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside (ISC)² with Adrian Davis

Re: Inside (ISC)² with Adrian Davis

Kaity
Community Manager

This is your chance to get Inside (ISC)² as leaders from our organization will be swinging by this Community to answer your questions. Joining us today is Dr. Adrian Davis, CISSP - who is our Director of Cybersecurity Advocacy for the EMEA region. 

Adrian is the "voice of the profession" for (ISC)² in EMEA. He focuses on three key areas: risk management, public policy and education. Adrian is a frequent speaker at cybersecurity conferences and was previously, our Managing Director for the EMEA region. 

Reply to this post with your questions and Adrian, aka @AdrianDaviswill answer them from 1500-1530 UK! 

14 Comments
Rj1
Viewer II

Dr. Davis:  

How are southern European countries (specifically Italy, Spain & Portugal) managing IT security?  Is the awareness and implementation of IT safety principles on par with US, UK ?  How is the career opportunity for someone from US in those countries?  Thank You, RJ

BitsOnTheWire
Newcomer II

Is this only an e-mail/text thread and not a webinar style event? I do not see a link to an event.

Rj1
Viewer II

Same question as BitsOnWire........is this an audio event? or a WebMeeting?

Kaity
Community Manager
Text thread only - feel free to post your questions here, thank you!
AdrianDavis
ISC2 Former Staff

Hi @Rj1. I would say that the Southern European countries are fast maturing and catching up with the UK and US. Regulations such as GDPR are helping them become more focused on protecting personal data and helping to increase awareness around information and its protection.

I'm seeing increased uptake of ISO standards, greater participation in security conferences and a willingness to learn. Remember that there are some large multinationals based in these countries who often have links with South & Central America and the US.

In terms of opportunities, yes, there are some. Knowledge of the local language is often a prerequisite; obviously, holding certifications such as CISSP can help in opening doors.

AdrianDavis
ISC2 Former Staff

@Rj1

Remember, that salaries will not be on the same level as UK or US, nor will the size of the team. You may find yourself being the "CISO of one" - in other words, you are on your own and may have to then build acceptance for budget and a team.

BitsOnTheWire
Newcomer II

Thank you for the reply. I do not see much value in this format and it being a "live event." Messages can be posted in any number of locations 24x7, answered by many people, and responses viewed when available. It does not appear to be a popular process with only one question posted in 15 minutes. This is not a very interactive or beneficial format. Through typed questions and responses, maybe three or four questions could be reasonably answered over 30 minutes.

Rj1
Viewer II

That is good information Dr. Davis, thanks.

Yes I am aware of the low remuneration issues with these countries.  I lived there for a couple of years.  Your comment of having to be in a small team is good to know.  Would you suggest any web-sites etc., to learn more about this topic for these countries.    I agree about the need for proficiency in local language.  How is France with the aspect of IT security.  Is ISC2/ CISSP being recognized by large corporations in these countries?  How about financial sector in these countries - they have large banks, is some part of IT security outsourced?

Kaity
Community Manager

@BitsOnTheWire Thanks for your feedback! We have been doing this for a few months now, scheduling time specifically for a live interaction here on the Community, but we will continue to finesse the process to make it more enjoyable and informational for participants! 

Thank you for participating! 

AdrianDavis
ISC2 Former Staff

@BitsOnTheWire @Kaity

We're trying different ways to engage and develop the community. This is one method and we'll learn from this and incorporate the feedback into the next round. Thank you for your comment!

Rj1
Viewer II

I agree with you BitsOnFire, I mean BitsOnWire :-).  For the moment I will make use of it and hopefully can contact Dr.Davis offline.

AdrianDavis
ISC2 Former Staff

@Rj1

Good questions.. 

It is difficult to point you to websites that talk about information security in Southern Europe. My advice would be use the Community here to get answers to some of these questions and engage with the local Chapters for the same purpose.

(ISC)2/CISSP is recognized in large organisations across Europe and is becoming increasingly valued, as organizations seek to have a global standard to aid communication and understanding. 

Kaity
Community Manager

Thanks for participating, everyone! We'll be back again next month with another Inside (ISC)² - and in the meantime, feel free to post any questions here or on other boards. 

We appreciate you being members of this (ISC)² Community! 

Rj1
Viewer II

Thanks Sir!

I suppose you are based in UK?

Will be in touch offline.

Thanks Kaity.