cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Have a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do You Have a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?

Re: Do You Have a Data Protection Officer (DPO)?

Tim_ISC2
ISC2 Team

Today's Security Congress Preview webinar on Privacy (click here if you would like to view) included a polling question on the following:

How many organizations already had or have added some form of Data Protection Officer (DPO) position following the introduction of GDPR?

• The DPO position already existed with our organization - 19%
  • The DPO position has been added following the introduction of GDPR - 12%
  • We are still considering if we need a DPO with our organization - 47%
  • We do not feel a DPO is needed or relevant for our organization - 22%

What's your organization doing in regards to this? Do you have a DPO? Still considering the need for one? Not needed or relevant? 

Let us know what you think.

3 Comments
Shannon
Community Champion

GDPR doesn't apply to the organization I'm with, which is in the educational sector in KSA. This would translate to: -

• The DPO position already existed with our organization - NO
  • The DPO position has been added following the introduction of GDPR - NO
  • We are still considering if we need a DPO with our organization - NO
  • We do not feel a DPO is needed or relevant for our organization - YES

canLG0501
Newcomer III

The DPO position does not formally exist within our organization.  Most organizations may not have considered a DPO position if they do not consider themselves as "large scale" data handlers of European Union citizen data.  It may help if incorporated in risk assessments to include the consideration of the various data subjects, data quantity, geographic location of processing, and retention policies.  After a risk assessment the need should be reassessed.

dippydog1932
Newcomer I

Very interesting post Tim_ISC2. I think that with the GDPR and the addition of the CCPA, the Nevada, and the New York regulations it will become increasingly important for most corporations.
Data privacy and protections have evolved into a major force in the public eye, and with social media and converged social platforms influence, I see a definite rise in the number of DPO’s that will be needed in the near future.