Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

President Biden has issued an executive order on secure and trustworthy AI

Hi All

We all knew it was going to happen and now it has: 

https://ai.gov/

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/10/30/fact-sheet-president-biden-i...

It will be interesting to watch the arguments and wailing from many directions.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

8 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

It will be interesting to watch the arguments and wailing from many directions.

While this seems more bark than bite, if some teeth get added along the way, I do wonder about a legal challenge given the Constitutional responsibilities of Congress and the states. What I find interesting is that if you remove "AI" from this document, it doesn't really change. Shouldn't we be protecting privacy, ensuring workers' right, etc. regardless of the tools used? AI hasn't changed ethics. It's just another tool. Granted the stakes may be higher with AI, but aren't most of these bullet points applicable even if we are using just pen and paper?

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@JoePete    It is a positive start towards responsibility and setting out what we should expect from organisations in terms of how AI - ML, Deep Learning, etc should be used towards the good of mankind.

The rest of us, will deal with the dark side, as they mount their attacks against organisations on a daily basis.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

ericgeater
Community Champion

"the stakes may be higher with AI"

The key thing which concerns me about AI is irresponsible use by end users.

Computers are notably deterministic, but users may all-too willingly accept AI's output and halluciations as valid, accurate, or useful.

Companies could send PII or CUI data to an AI without a plan to ensure sanitization or anonymization beforehand.

I mean, I'm glad the Biden Administration is addressing some key concerns from the business of AI... but I think we've already let too much data be made available to too many parties, and we're entrusting that any (or all!) of these orgs value data security in the same way.  And they simply don't.

I'll stop whining now.

eric

-----------
A claim is as good as its veracity.
JoePete
Advocate I

@Caute_cautim wrote:

It is a positive start towards responsibility and setting out what we should expect from organisations in terms of how AI - ML, Deep Learning, etc should be used towards the good of mankind.

The predicament I see is that we've been slowly boiling ourselves for decades. Now, as tech giants start adding the AI mix of spices, we're "shouting, hold on, you're not going to turn us into soup!" Sorry, we may already cooked. AI is just the finishing touch. We've been going down this road for decades. Yes,, maybe, now that the hazards are more evident, we can make changes and find progress. Still, I think too many of us think we're in a hot tub and not a soup pot.

ericgeater
Community Champion

"AI is just the finishing touch."

I kinda feel the same way with the risk of post-quantum secret keeping.  "Oh, here's everything you've ever done, neatly sitting in storage for years and years, all the while protected by an RSA 4,096 bit encryption.  Let me shred this can wide open."

-----------
dcontesti
Community Champion

so for my nickel (Canada doesn't have pennies) worth.

I have read the EO and it seems broad and far reaching and I can almost substitute "new technology" in a number of places.

As one of the older security folk here, I remember back to the early 80s when the Internet was being touted as the next big thing and we sat and pondered how would we in Security possibly deal with it?  then the virus' started, then B2B then Ransomware....and so on.

Yes, AI is going to complicate our lives but then something else will come along and take the shine off AI.  Thinking today, I wonder how LLMs  will affect us?

Happy to see that some things are being done but would like to see more "international participation".  

For those that may not have seen them, (ISC)2 is doing webinars to help folks wrap their minds around  this topic

d

ericgeater
Community Champion

so for my nickel (Canada doesn't have pennies)

The US should set the one cent coin on fire, too.

</rant>

-----------
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@ericgeater @dcontesti or you should be talking about digital money i.e. bitcoin, stablecoin etc

PQC will definitely make it vulnerable.

Regards

Caute_Cautim