Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

AI Court Cases arise the latest KPMG

Hi All

A slew of court cases are likely to turn up as an example the latest from KPMG:

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2023/nov/03/kpmg-ai-...

This is will not be the last one, as companies IP is suddenly realised is swallowed up in AI Generative Models.

Regards

Caute_Cautim

3 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

It just reads as “Lazy Academics” to me…

Given the parlours economic state of all Big4 consultants from associate to partner and back down again I’m almost minded to campaign on the behalf of the KPMG 11… if only some brave soul would launch a go fund me…
JoePete
Advocate I

Fascinating implications. Information submitted in court or formal hearings has long been considered immune from libel accusations - because such things are stated or submitted under oath, it is fair for an author or publisher to assume them to be true. That standard may now shift.

Of course, that does raise the potential pathway forward for lawyers, academics, and others who might rely on AI to augment their arguments made in such formal proceedings. These statements and submissions are made under the penalty of perjury. While it may seem harsh, the lesson perhaps should be taught. If some academic is going to submit AI generated data to a Senate panel and not fact-check it, they should face the penalties. "Sorry, AI made me do it," is not an excuse.

The line I have always drawn with AI is not regarding ethics. It's economics. You cannot responsibly compute a risk assessment for AI since its output is an unknown (if you could know it, you wouldn't need AI). These people who want to save a little time or money on the front end may find themselves facing time in prison or a substantial fine on the back end.

Early_Adopter
Community Champion