cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fortean
Contributor III

IAPP and (ISC)² - match made in heaven?

Folks,

as the GDPR is quite hot nowadays, I recently studied the GDPR. One of the results of my efforts was a Dutch translation of an excellent piece written by the (ISC)² EMEA Advisory Council GDPR Task Force.  I then decided to go for the full monty and took the IAPP CIPP/E exam. Passed with sufficiently flying colours Smiley Very Happy

Yes, you read that allright - I was cheating on my beloved (ISC)²...

I should perhaps have considered doing the (ISC)² privacy exam, the Certified Information System Privacy Professional or CISPP Smiley Wink - were it not that (ISC)² does not (yet?) provide such a certification. Also, the CIPP/E is rapidly becoming the "gold standard" in the EU when it comes to being able to prove that you know at least the minimum required to help customers with their implementation of the GDPR.

I was wondering if there already is some kind of association between (ISC)² and IAPP.  There is a rudimentary recognition of our certifcations in place with IAPP, for example, if you want to be a FIP (their highest level, 2 exams and related work experience) you can use "An information security certification from ISC2, ISACA, IEEE and other information security associations" to satisfy one-year of the experience requirement.

But I think more could be done - e.g. accepting each others CPE data, in such a way that registering CPE's with (ISC)² would automatically register these with IAPP too (there is a huge overlap in the respective domains, methinks) vice versa, or perhaps a discount on the AMF (or the IAPP equivalent, the membership fee).

I have already sought contact with the Dutch folks that run the IAPP variant of a what we call a Chapter, the "knowledgenet chapter". Will keep you posted. Perhaps we can help each other e.g. by exchange of information about our events vice versa etc.

Anyway - so, the question is: are we already in contact with IAPP, and if so, what are the current arrangements in place?

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
6 Replies
fortean
Contributor III

Maybe I should have posted this in the Ask (ISC)² section? The silence is deafening 🙂
--
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @fortean

This is not something that I know about off the top of my head, so I have reached out to some folks internally to get you an answer on this. As soon as I get some information, I'll make sure to let you know. 

Thanks, 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
fortean
Contributor III

Thank you Samantha!
--
Budoka
Contributor II

Did anything ever come of this?
CraginS
Defender I

@Budoka wrote:
Did anything ever come of this?

I have seen nada from (ISC)2 on this initiative, but I can tell you that IAPP and ISSA have had a partnership working for over a year, with complementary IAPP memberships for ISSA members.

Given that ISSA was a founding member of (ISC)2, while the efforts today of ISSA and (ISC)2 overlap, in many ways they do complement each other. I recommend being a member of both.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
Budoka
Contributor II

Thanks. Because of your recommendation and that of others I ended up successfully certifying for the CIPP/E.

While studying for it I was fortunate to be exposed to the IAPP community. Although a bit heavy on the Attorney side as far as membership goes...or at least it seems that way...they are definitely a knowledgeable and dedicated group/organization so I joined IAPP as well.