Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CraginS
Defender I

FB Rejects Backdoor Request

Facebook told UK, AU, and US authorities that no, they will not provide backdoor access to their end-to-end encrypted chat programs Messenger and WhatsApp.

Facebook Tells US Attorney General It’s Not Prepared To Get Rid Of Encryption On WhatsApp And Messen...
“People’s private messages would be less secure and the real winners would be anyone seeking to take advantage of that weakened security,” the company wrote to leaders in the US, UK, and Australia.

I still do not like or trust Zuckerface or FB, but will admit this is a good thing,

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts
2 Replies
Shane_60
Newcomer I

Corporations needs to stand up to Governments as they can be less trusted than criminals.  FB stance is what is needed as an example for others.   I too don't like or trust Zuckerface either, but this is the right thing to do.

Governments and their law enforcement authorities have become very lazy and their egos are getting in their way of co-operation in achieving good outcomes.  When they put away their pride and get off their fat butts,  they achieve some amazing outcomes.

There has been several examples in AU, US and the EU of where the authorities got it wrong and prosecuted the wrong people with negative consequences. And dozen more examples of being so lazy that the real criminals get away due to poor evidence presented at court. 

CraginS
Defender I

@Shane_60 wrote:

Corporations needs to stand up to Governments as they can be less trusted than criminals.  FB stance is what is needed as an example for others.   I too don't like or

The day after FB sent the featured letter to AG Barr, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing on this topic. IAPP has a nice article discussing the issue itself and  details about the Senate committee hearing:

Tech companies push back against lawmakers' demands for encryption backdoors

Well worth the read.

Craig

D. Cragin Shelton, DSc
Dr.Cragin@iCloud.com
My Blog
My LinkeDin Profile
My Community Posts