Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jasonlau88
Newcomer I

Estonia E-Residency and GDPR

Another interesting topic is in regards to Estonia’s e-Residency.

If you look at the FAQ (link below), you see that it provides people with “EU E-Residency”

So the interesting question would be how Estonia’s Digital E-Residency is handled under GDPR.

Technically does this mean that if I am living the other side of the world, apply and get granted E-Residency (as it is a legitimate digital identity in Estonia), then I can request PII records from companies by claiming I am am an “EU resident”, as I have rights under GDPR?

Interesting scenario to consider...Thoughts?

https://e-resident.gov.ee/faqs/about-e-residency/

What Can I Do as an e-Resident?

If you are granted e-Residency, you will receive a government-issued digital ID card that allows you access to e-services. Most e-services available for e-residents currently are business related, so entrepreneurs will benefit most from e-Residency.

Your digital ID card may only be used in an electronic environment, and is not a valid form of identification outside of the internet. Although e-residents receive government-issued digi- ID’s similar to those of citizens, e-residency does not confer citizenship, tax residency, residence, or right of entry to Estonia or to the European Union. Your e-Residency digi-ID card cannot be used as physical identification or as a travel document.

1 Reply
Laurie-Anne
Newcomer I

Hi

I'm sorry, but I don't think it would work.

Be careful, that the GDPR does not speak of EU residents but of "data subjects who are in the Union".

Since the e-residency will not teleport you to EU grounds, it would be difficult to require GDPR compliant treatment.

However what I'm seeing is that some companies are not (too) willing to maintains several privacy standard and will implement GDPR in their global policies. Select the ones who do!