Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
leroux
Community Champion

25 % of Danish companies are not working on the efforts required to comply with GDPR

104 Danish companies are asked how clear they are at different points of the Personal Data Regulation and, according to IT Branch, they were not uplifting answers, they included:

• 26.1 percent have not started classifying their data
  • 20.2 percent have not begun to uncover where their data is located - and in what form
  • 38.8 percent do not have data processing agreements with their external partners
  • 31.7 percent have not begun adapting their technical measures
  • 44.7 percent have not started awareness training for the employees

Original paper in Danish 

4 Replies
CISO-Italiano
Newcomer III

I spoke with a CEO of a 1roughly 3000 people company. I asked him what they are doing to prepare for GDPR. He told me that they do not count to be compliant by May 2018. He seemed not too worried about the fines and told me that there are many companies which are in the same situation. He thinks there is not any hurry to become compliant by May and that eventually compliance will be achieved over time.

I was shocked, because it means that, from a CEO perspective, many businesses are not taking seriously the EU system, the related fines threat and in general the EU Laws. Possibly the EU will need to show if they are joking or not with this Privacy Law and with its enforcement.

mwapemble
Newcomer II

So, how compliant do you reckon they are with "The Act on Processing of Personal Data (Act No. 429 of 31 May 2000)"?

If they are that badly off, most explicitly "38.8 percent do not have data processing agreements with their external partners" (although not having any DP training isn't exactly Principle 7 compliant), then they aren't exactly compliant with the current rules (unless Danish DP legislation is wildly different from the EU norm).

TonyDS
Newcomer II

My partner is Danish and I spend a lot of time over there.

It's generally a no nonsense society and they tend to "say it as it is".

My feeling is that if firms across the rest of Europe were to answer this survey as honestly, we'd see similar results.

CISO-Italiano
Newcomer III

Agreed. Scandinavian are usually more candid and honest than rest of Europeans. You can blame me for stereotyping, reverse-racism (I am not Scandinavian) and generalizing, but the bottom line is that it's true.