Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azlar103
Viewer

question on anxiety and exam accommodations

I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder. Its a bit embarrassing but I take an icepack/lunchbox with icepacks  with me pretty much any time I leave the house just in case for some reason I have an episode (not an issue while I'm at home).  touching the freezing icepack provides a powerful stimulus which helps me calm down if I have an episode. 

previously with certification exams, it hasn't been an issue since  I have taken them remotely and the exams have been fairly short. 

Is this sort of thing something I can get an accommodation for? I know proctored labs are a bit stringent with what they allow you to bring.  what sort of note would I need to ask my psychiatrist for in regards to this? does anybody have experience with getting accommodations for the exam?

2 Replies
Leandave
Newcomer III

Good question, in america we have the ADA.  If you have a need to be addressed there is a section when you register for the exam to have that need accommodated within reason.  I myself have not used it but i've seen it.  Would be advisable for you to look at those accommodation strategies when you schedule or you exam and see what they can do.  I've been to quite a few testing centers and ALL of them have pleasant people and i feel like will work with you as long as you notify them ahead of time.  Just read the information on the testing center site and worse case, email ahead of time to explain your situation and see what accommodations they can make.  EZPZ

denbesten
Community Champion

This website includes instructions for requesting accommodations: https://www.isc2.org/exams/before-your-exam

Even without accommodations, everyone is permitted to leave the exam room (after raising your hand to get their attention), to go to the bathroom, visit your locker, get a drink, etc.  The only catch is that the clock keeps running and you need to vein-scan back in.