Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moe
Newcomer I

Whats a great compliment to the CISSP?

With there being a plethora of security based certifications, which would you say would compliment the CISSP best?
CISM
CIPP
CRISP
CISA
TOGAF
20 Replies
Glen
Newcomer I

I know this is not on your list but with the big push right now for everything to go to "The Cloud" you may want to consider the CCSP. Cloud security seams to be the big thing right now, so it might be the best compliment to the CISSP right now.

CCSP will probably be the easiest for you to study for also. A lot of the information is very similar to CISSP. You just have to learn to think about it from a different perspective. I just used the study guide from ISC2 and was able to pass. The key was taking my time and making sure I answered the questions from a Cloud perspective and not from a CISSP perspective. Because on a lot of the questions both answers were there, at least in my mind they were.

Good luck on what ever you choose.

Ericksonky
Viewer II

I'd take a look at your field and cater the compliment certification accordingly. I personally work in healthcare and found the HCISPP to be the natural next cert. With the current trend the CCSP also makes sense.

If you are auditing or dealing with vendor risk the CISA would do. Likewise, the CIPP for privacy. I think the best answer is that it depends on your current career path.
jeffcoop9
Viewer

Agree. I just earned my CISSP in September and immediately went into study mode for CCSP (scheduled for December). I’m finding a lot of the material for CISSP translates over. Also have a few colleagues who took this route and found the CCSP to be a great follow on.
Ericksonky
Viewer II

I actually just passed the CCSP on Friday (10/6). It's been awhile since I took my CISSP but agree that it's a natural next test. Interested to see if container security, devsecops and runtime security make their way into this cert.
jeffshurtliff
Viewer

I just earned my CISM certification and I feel that it really complemented my CISSP knowledge.

Solinus
Viewer III

I think like others have stated, it depends...

Depends on where you want to go with your security career. Remember that CISSP is not an in the field technical type of certification, more of a management level. Other management level certifications would be valuable to look at, PMP comes to mind as well as CISM, CRISC, CGEIT. Almost anything cloud relate is worth looking at, like the AWS Certified Solutions Architect.

I would say that it is a question that many can advise, but only you can decide what is "great" in your individual case.

Good luck!

Kerry LeBlanc
https://www.linkedin.com/in/kerryleblanc/
Matthew
Newcomer I

I debated between the ISSMP and CISM certificates.  The CISM is widely know but ISC2 does a pretty good job on advertising their brand.  I will pursue the ISSMP so it's under one governing body makes it simplistic on uploading CPEs.  

US Army Veteran - CISSP

It's not a matter of IF but a matter of WHEN. What are you going to do when it happens?
Anne
Newcomer I

What’s your desired path and where are you now? I think the CISSP was great for early career growth, but after that you are going to have to choose your paths. Compliance, management, cloud, Devops, bleeding edge, on the ground? People talk of creating your own personal brand - you can do this through how you certify as well. My track is ISSMP, CISM, CRISC, CCSP and the new, much maligned, C|CISO.
AdiGrio
Viewer II

For a moment I thought that indeed this was about complimenting a CISSP for a job well done Smiley Happy

Now, as far as complementary certifications go, given the highly technical aspect of CISSP, I found that CISM and CRISC cover the fuzzy GRC aspects on the IT security business, an area that the typical security engineer prefers to avoid. The CISM material covers maybe 75% of the CRISC (and some say CISA as well).