Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichM
Viewer II

Online Proctor for CISSP due to Covid 19

I am almost ready to write the CISSP exam. My challenge is that I am based in South Africa & yesterday our government announced a 21 day lockdown to try "flatten the Covid 19 infection curve". Question is are there any plans from ISC2 to allow for online proctors to monitor an online CISSP examination? I have checked with Pearson vue and SA is not listed as we use 3rd party testing centers.

89 Replies
MCO
Reader II

I looked online, and due to Covid-19 Pearson Vue is now requiring their test takers to wear masks at the testing sites.  I don't see how anyone can actually concentrate on the exam for three hours without barely being able to breathe.  ISC2 should really modernize and allow some implementation of online test taking.

Subnetwork
Newcomer III

For one the exam is three hours, if you studied and was diligent enough about this issue than you would know that. Masks aren’t hard to breath in, I worked in healthcare for years.
MCO
Reader II

Not everyone is able to breathe well in a mask, however GOOD FOR YOU.  Also, there's still the question that ISC2 needs to modernized.  There's no harm in making things more accessible to people and if there are multiple cameras pointing to an individual and watching them take the exam, then there shouldn't be any harm in that.  It's time to get out of the dinosaur era and implement an online test taking.  People are able to do their college courses online, children are also doing their school online.  ISC2 needs to take notice and also get with the times.

Jacques01
Newcomer III

The thing is you cant and studies has also shown that any mask that is not
an N95 does not really stop you inhaling the pathogen
Jacques01
Newcomer III

If you were any outside of an N95 yes but then you might as well not wear
anything.
Subnetwork
Newcomer III

@Jacques01 wrote:
The thing is you cant and studies has also shown that any mask that is not
an N95 does not really stop you inhaling the pathogen

I agree, and most people do not wear masks properly and/or they handle them constantly while wearing them, which completely takes away any benefit. I think the reason for the masks at this point is not to protect yourself but to protect others. 

Jacques01
Newcomer III

its more to make people feel at ease but the studies have shown its not
effective at all.

so just imagine the PR disaster that will ensue if you sit at a testing
center and you get infected
asadz
Viewer III

Yes, you are forgetting about the most top rated security certification from skill perspective "offensive security" certifications nearly all are online - proctored, with lately they added an feature of webcam turned off feature.

From brand-protection and trust, they like all exam-bodies also are responsible to their stakeholders to keep the quality and delivery of exams to highest markers of integrity, safety and trustworthiness. 

There might be specific standard requirements from affiliated bodies, that ISC2 cannot meet up technically (although they are hard to name) without knowing exact criteria, but my guess the worst fear is if internet goes down, the candidate will have a chance to go offline and google exam for help that be equal to cheating, to counter that you may force exam-taker to have pearsonvue admin staff accompanied or be present to ensure administrative check, where the exam-taker is wiling to pay extra fees for his/her presence.

It can be done, but there is no where safe to say 80% centers are open when you are in-return suggesting its worth a risk to attempt exam where in most cases pearsonvue has high seat occupancy and due to lack of standardization of exam centers some are really small room and cramped with 6-9 exam taker you be forced to take exam in complete fear which is counterproductive and be determintal in candidate ability to focus and pass exam.

Admarnelson
Newcomer III

Good view point.
Subnetwork
Newcomer III

@asadz wrote:

Yes, you are forgetting about the most top rated security certification from skill perspective "offensive security" certifications nearly all are online - proctored, with lately they added an feature of webcam turned off feature.

From brand-protection and trust, they like all exam-bodies also are responsible to their stakeholders to keep the quality and delivery of exams to highest markers of integrity, safety and trustworthiness. 

There might be specific standard requirements from affiliated bodies, that ISC2 cannot meet up technically (although they are hard to name) without knowing exact criteria, but my guess the worst fear is if internet goes down, the candidate will have a chance to go offline and google exam for help that be equal to cheating, to counter that you may force exam-taker to have pearsonvue admin staff accompanied or be present to ensure administrative check, where the exam-taker is wiling to pay extra fees for his/her presence.

It can be done, but there is no where safe to say 80% centers are open when you are in-return suggesting its worth a risk to attempt exam where in most cases pearsonvue has high seat occupancy and due to lack of standardization of exam centers some are really small room and cramped with 6-9 exam taker you be forced to take exam in complete fear which is counterproductive and be determintal in candidate ability to focus and pass exam.

Then again, I've heard a lot of rumors of cheating when it comes to OSCP, e.g., a bunch of people in the same room helping each other. I hope Offensive Security works hard to ensure their certification doesn't turn into another CEH.

There's also a difference between applied skill-based certifications, and multiple-choice like CISSP when it comes in terms of cheating.

Trust me, and I'm frustrated too. I can't even schedule my CCSP until September or October, at test centers hours away. But I believe keeping the validity and integrity of (ISC)2 exams is more important.