Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joro
Newcomer II

NIST 800-37 Rev 2 and the CAP Exam

Does anyone know if the CAP exam will be updated to match the NIST 800-37 r2 release. There are major changes and so an exam update is called for. Just curious when and if that will happen.

6 Replies
ddrake
ISC2 Team

@Joro 

All of our exam items go through rigorous review and validation.  Any item that may have referenced the old version will have either been verified with the new, or returned for further work through our item development process to update it accordingly.  One of our standards for item writing is to use current, valid sources.  Superseded sources are on the "bad" list, and must not be used.

I hope this answers your question.

Damon

Joro
Newcomer II

Damon,

Thanks for your great reply. While I know that you keep the exam updated in the most professional manner, I was more interested in knowing timing of updates. I am prepping for the CAP exam and with the changes to NIST 800-37r2 I was wondering how I should be studying is all. It a timing issue. Thanks for responding.

Until_then
Contributor I

The new CAP exam outline took effect this month. One of the differences between the old outline and the new is a more concentrated focus on privacy controls which is one of the major changes with the latest version of NIST SP 800-37. I would say the answer is yes. 

ccboy981
Newcomer III

Hey, I just took the CAP and passed on 11/13/2021. The material is based off of 800-37 Rev 2.

Creasy
Newcomer I

Thank you
GDrake
Viewer

It's interesting that the exam is updated and the core study text is not. The CAP CBK 2nd Edition (as far as I can see that is the latest) is still based on an old version of the NIST 800-37 which has thrown me as it's all now out of date. I'm glad I found this forum. It would be useful to have a note on the ISC2 website when you're purchasing the book to say that you need to look at the new versions of the standards as they come out.