Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arkahnz
Viewer

CISSP Question Clarification regarding media sanitization.

Q. Megan wants to prepare media to allow for its reuse in an environment operating at the same sensitivity level. Which of the following is the best option to meet her needs? Clearing Erasing Purging Sanitization

Answer as per the Official Study Guide - 

Clearing describes preparing media for reuse. When media is cleared, unclassified data is written over all addressable locations on the media. Once that's completed, the media can be reused. Purging is a more intensive form of clearing for reuse in lower-security areas.

My question is, since purging is a more intensive form of clearing then why is it used for reuse in lower-security areas. I thought the answer to this question should have been purging. So in which instances should clearing and purging be used?

Thanks

3 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

Re: CISSP Question Clarification regarding media sanitization.

.... clearing for reuse in a lower-security area than it was formerly used in.  

The comment is about the "change in classification" for the media; not about the continuing use in a lesser classification.

Steve-Wilme
Advocate I

If you were to clear the data from media used in a highly classified area and then reuse the media in a lower classified area, there is a risk of writing data down; therefore it should be purged to treat that risk.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
arkahnz
Viewer

Thanks for clarifying.