Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david-shearer
ISC2 Former Staff

(18 DEC 17) Launch of Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT) for CISSP Exams--worldwide

I'm very excited about the launch of Computerized Adaptive Testing (CAT) for the CISSP starting December 18, 2017 for all English exams worldwide. To learn more:

https://www.isc2.org/certifications/CISSP/CISSP-CAT

Regards,

David Shearer

CEO, (ISC)2

dshearer@isc2.org

Thanks,

David Shearer
| CEO | dshearer@isc2.org | www.isc2.org | iamcybersafe.org |
15 Replies
Radioteacher
Community Champion

About 1995, Novell moved some of their tests to the CAT format.  If I remember correctly, they would initially introduce a test or beta test in linear format then examine the results to create the CAT test.  

I appreciated CAT tests back then because they did an excellent job checking competency on the objectives without taking to much time at the testing center.  You either passed is a short amount of time or you failed in a shorter time period.

For myself, CAT tests eliminated the possibility of reviewing questions.  When I review questions, I have a 60% to 70% chance of listening to doubt.  In doing so, I would change correct answers to incorrect answers.

I know these statistics on my tendency to review and change correct answers due to experiments working with practice tests.  For the past twenty years, I take the time needed to answer the question in front of me and move on.  Call it a personal, "No Review" policy.

Paul Guido, CISSP, (Provisional CCSP)

HTCPCP-TEA
Contributor I

Well, this IS interesting.

A CAT exam is a good way of accurately measuring most candidates for sure, it enables ISC2 to really dive deep into the knowledge that has been “cauldron-ised” by prospective candidates, such as I.

However, some of the more critical thinkers among us may operate in such a manner that we enjoy marking questions for review, in order to truly criticise our own thought processes, before finally coming to rest on an answer. This may alienate such people.

However, I can understand the goal here is to ensure we have only the most prepared and knowledgeable candidates attaining an exam pass.

Though I must say I almost regret your decision to change the exam from a 6 hour, 250 question marathon to a somewhat underrated 3 hour, 100 question jaunt. It almost takes the shine off the jewel that is the CISSP to achieve (or the exam at least). The dread that once filled me about taking the 6 hour slog, has now dissipated, though I can almost guarantee the content of such an exam will not be any easier.

I will look forward to this exam now, knowing that within 3 hours (180 minutes or indeed 1/8th of a day), one will know if they can continue on their InfoSec journey with pride and gusto.

Gunner
Newcomer III

I'm in agreement of updating the exam.  No issue with that at all.  What I am seeing (message boards, study groups, etc.) is why just a 30 day notice?  I'm aware that when this first came out as a rumor (month ago) that some of the CISSP's called and asked about it.  Response was "Not true" and wanted to know who was reporting this?"  A better answer might have been "Not authorized to deny or confirm", and let people come to their own conclusion. 

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
Kaity
Community Manager

Rick

When this question came up in the community a few weeks ago, we let everyone know that more information was forthcoming. https://community.isc2.org/t5/Ask-ISC/New-exam-format-for-CISSP/m-p/1502#M149

Following communications to candidates registered for the CISSP exam, we posted the update here today.

If you could send us any links to other message boards or study groups, we’ll be happy to ensure everyone preparing for the CISSP exam has the latest exam information.

Thank you!
Gunner
Newcomer III

KaityEagle,

Thank you for the quick response.  Here is a very active CISSP site:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1525346961013038/?fref=nf  located on Facebook called Study Notes and Theory.  I did post that members should join the ISC(2) Community site and provided info and a link.

Best regards,
Rick
CISSP, PMP, ITILv3, LSSGB
tcocke
Viewer

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I am always encouraging my colleagues to get the CISSP certification and I think the daunting nature of the test has discouraged them. Maybe now they will reconsider. I hope so. Congrats on what looks like a good move by ISC2 !!
Thor
Newcomer I

I think it is a good move, but I am talking to a lot of people who are panicking now, they have been studying for the current test, but will most likely test on the CAT platform.
I think it is something that can be cleared up with communication since curriculum is the same, but exam and style is different.

Is it possible to have a CAT mock exam students can familiarize themselves with it before testing? 

Thank you,

Thor Pedersen
CISSP, CEH, PMP, CCNP et. Al.

Kaity
Community Manager

Thor

Thank you for sharing your perspective. As to your question, (ISC)² doesn’t offer mock exams. We do develop practice assessments for candidates to aid in their preparation. Since there is no change to the exam outline or passing standards with the introduction of CISSP CAT, we recommend candidates continue in their current preparation routine, leveraging tools like a CISSP practice assessment included in our official courseware.

Thanks!
Radioteacher
Community Champion

Is it possible to have a CAT mock exam so students can familiarize themselves with it before testing? 

Thor,

I have taken many CAT tests over the years and the primary difference is the lack of question review.

To simulate this on any practice test software, all one has to do is resist any urge to review the question you have answered.

Answer each question in the practice test as they are presented, do not review any question or answer, and at the end of the test, submit it for grading without review.

In the movie 'Cannon Ball Run" the Italian race car driver gets in his Ferrari for the cross country race, breaks the rearview mirror from the windshield and states, "The first rule of Italian driving, what behind me is not important."

So take every practice test like this fictitious Italian driver and you will have a feel for the CAT test format.

Paul