Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Viewer

Reddit Discussion (CISSP: Do you need to reach 70% in ALL of the 8 domains)

Hi everyone,

I am preparing for the CISSP exam and I am seeing conflicting information regarding whether one needs to get 70% in all the domains to receive a pass mark on the exam. Could somebody from ISC2 please confirm for me as I have my test soon. I will be taking it in english (in Australia)

This URL says it does not: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP/CISSP-Cat

Q: Does a candidate need to score “Above Proficiency” in all domains in order to pass the exam?
A: No. A candidate does not need to score above the proficiency level in each area of the test plan to pass the exam. A single pass/fail result is calculated on the total of all (please underline this word) operational items administered for the examination. (ISC)² exams are compensatory exams which allow for a higher number of items answered correctly in one domain to compensate for a lower performance in another domain. If a candidate performs very well in a more heavily weighted domain where a high number of items are included on the exam and only performs “near proficiency” or even “below proficiency,” in a lesser weighted domain where a fewer number of items are included, there is a possibility that a candidate may pass the exam, but there is no guarantee.

This URL says it does: https://www.isc2.org/register-for-exam/exam-scoring-faqs

Q: What is the passing proficiency level for adaptive testing?

A: The proficiency is defined here as “passing standard.” Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.

• Below proficiency – below the passing standard
  • Near proficiency – close to the passing standard
  • Above proficiency – above the passing standard
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Reddit Discussion (CISSP: Do you need to reach 70% in ALL of the 8 domains)

This question is best answered by Member Services.

@tonyshiver Could you assist on this one?

With thanks

d

Highlighted
(ISC)² Team

@the_phatman I'm looking into this for you and should have a response soon.

Tony Shiver

Manager, Member Services

Highlighted
(ISC)² Team

@the_phatman Does removing "in all Domains" from this answer clear up some of the confusion?

Q: What is the passing proficiency level for adaptive testing?

A: The proficiency is defined here as “passing standard.” Candidates must score above the proficiency level in all Domains in order to pass the exam.