Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben_Malisow
Contributor II

Question for those who have both CISSP and SSCP

I'm thinking of getting the SSCP, and have the CISSP. If you've got both, what did you think of the relative difficulty of the exams? Was there anything you did to study specifically for the SSCP beyond what you used for the CISSP?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

11 Replies
Thalpius
Newcomer III

I've got both but I got SSCP first. As CISSP is more for senior security roles, SSCP is more for security admins and security engineers. To be honest: If you passed CISSP I wouldn't recommend SSCP. I would recommend CISSP even through having SSCP though.

I found out they overlap a lot. When you've studied for CISSP you could go for the SSCP exam.

When you have the spare time, money and energy to do both, do both. I didn't regret doing both.
trebor
Viewer III

If you already have your CISSP then I would look at something like the Certified Cloud Security Professional or one of the ISACA certifications to compliment the CISSP. I have my CISSP and my CISM.

mgoblue93
Contributor I

I would just say to first look at what are your personal requirements for getting the SSCP?

Is it required by your present employer?

Does it help your career progression?

Regarding the last sentence, it seems like it's debatable given the overlap between the CISSP and SSCP.

If you're collecting certs for signature block alphabet soup, go for it, but I'd take a look at your resume, your goals -- both short and long term, and analyze what pursuing this certification TRULY does for you.  I'm guessing given curriculum overlap and until you do a career analysis, there could be a different cert for you out there for you to pursue.

By way of comparison, I have three cyber-related certs: CISSP, penetration testing, and architecture.  From a 8570 perspective that gives me 100% coverage of all the possible combinations of access levels. -- gov't clients care about that.  Commercial companies generally don't -- they want to know the technical stuff; which I continuously work on (instead of pursuing additional certifications beyond my 3) both at work and at home so I can benefit my clients better.

HTH.

Ben_Malisow
Contributor II

And, sorry, I wasn't clear with my first post: I'm looking to get the SSCP so I can teach those courses. So I'm really just curious as to the relative difficulty of the exam, compared to the CISSP (which I already teach). Thanks for any insight you can offer;

mgoblue93
Contributor I

I suppose if having a cert is a requirement for a class you want to teach, then there's your answer.

Good luck on your journey!!!

Ben_Malisow
Contributor II

Okay, but the question was not "should I get this cert"-- the question is "how difficult is the SSCP test, relative to the CISSP, and what study aids did you use for both."

Suraya
Newcomer II

Hello Thalpius

I did not pass CISSP exam 10 days ago although I did prepare myself good and I did much practice test. I know I don't have infosec experience, however; recently I got a postgraduate in Network and system security analysis.  

do you think to get first SSCP is a good idea instead to repeat the CISSP test?

if yes, which book to study and practice test book or online any online resources.

Thank you for the reply.

Suraya

112NextLevelPro
Newcomer III

I'm resurrecting Ben's post.  I'm in this same situation, I currently have my CISSP and want to teach the SSCP to people interested in my IT department.

As such, I may end up taking the test because I will be go through all the material that I will be teaching on.  But regarding the long heated debate, is it worth getting the SSCP if I am already a CISSP since I just want to teach the SSCP class?

TIA!

-Ed

Ben_Malisow
Contributor II

Hi, Suraya-- just saw your post; sorry. Yes, I think starting with the SSCP, if you don't have experience in the field, is the smarter choice, instead of taking CISSP again.