cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nebuchadnezzar
Newcomer I

Provisionally passed CISSP examination

Good morning everybody,

last 29th August I passed CISSP examination on my first attempt. I would like to share my experience, which may be useful for those who are preparing this hard challenge 🙂

I have a background of 11 years IT experience, mixing managerial positions with more security hands-on focused ones, most of them in big 4 and more recently aerospace industry.

My studying materials have been:

Sybex Official Study Guide 8th edition (8/10)

Official Practice Test 2nd edition (8/10)

Boson (9/10)

Shon Harris (7/10)

Sunflower (8/10)

Eleventh Hour CISSP (9/10)

CISSP is going to be my first certification (now I am in the endorsement process), which still made me feel more overwhelmed considering the huge amount of material included in the CBK. The day of the exam (I had the exam early in the morning) I was a bit nervous, but quite confident considering that my scores in Boson were around 80%.

As I expected, from previous opinions of exam takers in this forum, once you seat in the exam doesn't matter much how many practice test you have taken before, because none of the questions you are going to find is even similar with the ones you have practised.

In my case, I spent almost all the time (I took all 150 questions) and finally 5 minutes before the time limit the expected message saying that the exam has finished appeared. At that moment I was thinking that I failed, so I just raised my hand and got out from the examination room with the Pearson VUE staff.

After checking again my identification, I went to the Pearson VUE entry and another staff printed me the results of the exam. I was picking up my stuff, and thinking about what should I do from that moment, how to prepare again the exam, when I just took a look at the result report and I saw "Dear xxxx: Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have provisionally passed the Certified Information Security Professional (CISSP) examination". The feelings at that moment were so amazing that I almost cried of happiness!

I studied really hard for 3 months preparing this examination, but I would say that is more useful your working experience, rather than knowledge you can learn from studying.

Regards,

Isaac

6 Replies
Kaity
Community Manager

Congratulations!
nebuchadnezzar
Newcomer I

Thank you KaityEagle!! I am really expecting to finish the endorsement process (I will open a new post about it, because is concerning me a bit).

ramadji
Newcomer II

@nebuchadnezzarCongratulations to you on your success!

Ramadji D.
M.Sc., CISSP, CISM, CCSP
nebuchadnezzar
Newcomer I

Thank you @ramadji !! How long did you have to wait for the endorsement process?

ramadji
Newcomer II

@nebuchadnezzarIt took exactly 4 weeks and 4 days after the submission of my endorsement to be notified that I was in the clear. According to (ISC)2, it takes between 4-6 weeks so I was in the interval. I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ramadji D.
M.Sc., CISSP, CISM, CCSP
ericgeater
Community Champion

Congratulations on your success!!

Of the books you listed, I used the Chapple 8E study guide, and found it a superior volume.

--
"A claim is as good as its veracity."