Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jfrish
Viewer

New to ISC2 - Want to become CISSP certified

Hello everyone,  I'm new here, but not new to IT.

I have my Comptia N+, Security + and A+ cert, a degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, and I've worked in the IT field since 2003.
I was told I will need a sponsor to do so, so I'm curious where I find a sponsor,  as well as looking to obtain as much info as possible to see if I want to use this cert as a goal internally with my company this year or not.  (It's seems a bit complicated on the front end, so I may choose a simpler path for a company goal, but make this a personal goal of mine as well).  I hear the "CC" exam as may be an option as well.  What info can you guys provide?  

Thank you in advanced!

3 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Welcome, and that sounds like a noble goal. I would start by looking at what you want from your certification/certificate. Remember you need to pay AMFs and keep up CPEs for certification:

https://www.isc2.org/Membership/manage-membership

With your experience It would be likely better to look straight at the CISSP or perhaps SSCP as a warm up, as with 20 years in IT  I can’t imagine CC providing you anything that you didn’t already know, or even being much use but it’s definitely easier to obtain.

if it’s an internal goal/KPI I’d start with SSCP or CC as that’s in your control and CISSP would need to look at lengthier experience in the domains, also if certifying it might take longer so do write it as pass one of the exams. Cost for exams and training vary as well, so do factor that in.

There’s a plethora of trining out there from iSC official, to boot camps, online and quite decent resources on linkined in learning, plural sight, demystify etc - though frankly your experience and one or two books are probably your best friend.

Read the CBK, the exam outlines etc.

For a sponsor try to find an ISC2 member you know/work with much easier to verify your experience etc.

Talos-IV
Viewer II

Hi,

When I started the endorsement process I had 2 different choices: indicate the surname and number of an active member or to let ISC2 to be the endorser.

So if you don’t know any active member I think you can start the process.

Anyway before starting the CISSP path, read twice the prerequisites.

Even if you pass the exam, maybe you will not get the Membership, but you can always ask to be associate.

I hope you’ll reach your goals.

Regards,

Talos

jfrish
Viewer

Thank you for the info!