Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LArchinal
Newcomer II

Is there a good timeline for the new ISSEP CBK coming out?

I am looking forward to taking the CISSP-ISSEP certification exam but all the reviews about the old CBK say it is outdated. Also I was given a list of recommended resources which help but I am curious as to when the new CBK is coming out. Could you help me out?

13 Replies
Caute_cautim
Community Champion

My personal take, is you need to know your underlying CISSP principles very well.  Rather like the ISSAP, the ISSEP will test your capabilities, and experiences, it is not like just another examination, a concentration will challenge you.  It will make you think and challenge the way you think in terms of solving business problems and how you tackle them.    Those who have taken concentrations, hopefully will support this notion, its the principles and the underlying security engineering techniques and how you and your experience has developed, which will get you through the examination. 

LArchinal
Newcomer II

Caute_cautim

Thank you very much for this helpful insight. I really appreciate when members of the community that have the experience I am looking for share it with others in the community. Please continue sharing and helping the community grow.

On another note, I see that you have the ISSAP; What was your study path like and how long did it take you and what were your resources?

Caute_cautim
Community Champion

@LArchinal wrote:

Caute_cautim

Thank you very much for this helpful insight. I really appreciate when members of the community that have the experience I am looking for share it with others in the community. Please continue sharing and helping the community grow.

On another note, I see that you have the ISSAP; What was your study path like and how long did it take you and what were your resources?

My approach was to review the curriculum, and go back to basics, to ensure that my fundamental principles and understanding were strengthen by going back through the core CISSP learning's.  I did this by going through the original CISSP examination guides both physically, and online to test my and gauge my own understanding, so it was not just "I think I know the principles".   So, I very much tested my baselines against the ISSAP curriculum.  I then invested in the ISC2 ISSAP online virtual education sessions, and the associated CBK.  I found this absolutely brilliant, not only were the lecturers and engaging with other students online at the time, but being able to go back through the virtual recorded sessions.   This helped me not only gain greater insights, but also to apply them to my working environment.  So I found by applying the techniques directly, fundamentally strengthen my learning capabilities.  I did the usual thing of investing in an authorised examination set of questions, this helped tremendously in terms of understanding the style of the questions being asked, and how they would be asked.  Because of this, I felt ready to take the examination online subsequently.  

It was also one of the core themes throughout the training, make sure you understand and can apply the fundamental principles directly without having to think about it.   In other words, rely on ones brain to analyse the situation in front of you, and objectively come up with logical conclusions.

I hope this helps, we all learn in different ways, and we take different approaches to ensure we are  prepared to the best of our capabilities.  But definitely the investment in the ISSAP virtual sessions, took the guesswork out of it all, and brought the reality of what was needed to gain this concentration. 

To me this was an essential investment.

rbc
Newcomer II

I thought I'd give this topic a bump. I'm on the fence about doing ISSMP or ISSEP this year. I've taken an ISSEP online prep course from 2012 and I do the kind of work that the ISSEP supports. On the other hand, ISSMP seems to be better supported by study materials and I need it too. Will we see a ISSEP CBK update this year? It would be timely for my current professional goals.
Robert B. Carleton
SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @rbc & everyone else in this thread, 

The CISSP-ISSEP CBK was updated and placed into effect on March 15, 2018. For more information on the changes, you can take a look here: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/CISSP-ISSEP/Domain-Refresh-FAQ

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Samantha O'Connor
(ISC)² Online Community Manager
babmhkk
Viewer

Hi Samantha:

Does this mean when the new course version drops that a new CBK book will be publicly available for purchase?

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @babmhkk

At this time, the textbook is not being updated; however, it still can be used as a resource. You can take a look at the following link to find other self-study items for the exam: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/References

Samantha O'Connor
Xdbuix
Newcomer I

Hi Samantha,

I just wanted to ask if the book is not being updated, can you explain what type of material is being updated for sept 2018? I noticed on the ISSEP homepage that there is an update in study material for ISSEP for Sept 2018.

Thank you!
Dan

SamanthaO_isc2
ISC2 Former Staff

Hello @Xdbuix

At this time, the book is not being updated. Our teams are looking into updating this material; however, we do not have any timelines at this point. You can find more information about the update to the domains for the ISSEP Concentration here. The self-paced training course for the ISSEP is what was released in September (just last week!) and is available if you wish to purchase it. You can find more information about that here as well as an overview of the course.  You can also find a list of references available at the following location that may be of help when studying: https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/References.

Thanks, 

Samantha O'Connor