cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackSussmilch
Newcomer II

ISSMP vs CISM

Ho All,

I'm sorry if this looks like a rehash of the an old topic, however, my research only really found some outdated responses.
TLDR; Is the CISM really worth it compared to the ISSMP from a learning perspective?

Over the past few months, I have finally had the time and headspace to get myself certified ( CISSP, CCSP (pending accreditation), CSSLP (sitting exam in a couple of weeks).

After I have knocked out the CSSLP, I am trying to decide between doing the ISSMP or the CISM. The CISM serms to be much more recognised by HR groups, however, aside from that I am not so sure it will provide much more educational knowledge than if I took the CISSP-ISSMP. Likewise, the CISM seems quite expensive by comparison both in terms of acquisition and maintenance.

On the other hand, the reference material for the isc specializations do not seem to have had much focus.

Just as a bit of background, I have always had a broad degree of everything IT and in business ( original degree was applied computing ), and I have spent a couple of decades architecting, designing, implementing, leading and managing teams of Software Configuration Managers ( but a much broader definition of SCM that serms to pervade ISC ) - i.e. everything from implementing full SDLC lines of communication ( reqs through to dev and retirement), but also branching strategies, SCM strategies, policies and plans, sw assurance, Environment management etc).

As some people may ask, my target is very much along the lines of continuing to ensure I do not ask a report to do something I either have not or could not do to a reasonably competant level. And to be the sort of manager who can coach and mentor without micromanaging. I get a kick out of enabling people and teams.

To this end, I am considering going "Full neckbeard" and picking up all the ISC certs, just to be a bit different.
12 Replies
Steve-Wilme
Advocate II

I took the ISSMP concentration almost 10 years ago.  It's about a weeks reading/research if you've read the majority of the references at the end of each chapter of the CBK.  It's easily done through self study.  Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Wilme CISSP-ISSAP, ISSMP MCIIS
JackSussmilch
Newcomer II

Thanks Steve
Solomatrix
Reader I

They're very similar, I would recommend getting both if you're collecting certifications.

---------------------------------------------------
CISSP-ISSAP/ISSEP/ISSMP, CCSP, CCSK, CSSLP, CFE, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, CDPSE, COBIT, PMP, CBP, CIPP/US, CSM, CSPO