Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DWayland
Newcomer II

ISSAP Passed - Study Sharing

I passed the exam (July 2018) and received my endorsement!

This was one of the tougher exams I've taken.  The toughness of the test was primarily due to the lack of official study material for the updated test, and the small group of people currently preparing for the certification.

The exam definitely follows the ISC2 approach of ensuring you have full understanding of the underlying topics. The questions test your ability to apply your core understanding and I do not believe there is a way to study for the questions. Rather, you must truly understand the material at a core level.

You need to ensure that you completely understand the core CISSP as well as the extended ISSAP depth of questions.

Where the CISSP is "a mile wide and an inch deep", the ISSAP is 1/2 a mile wide and a few feet deep.

Study Plan:

The following is how I approached studying for the test:

• Read the Official (ISC)2 Guide to the ISSAP CBK - 2nd Edition (I read it once cover to cover with a mind to detail. I read it once focusing on any areas where I could not immediately remember the details. I read it a final time to brush up and verify my understanding of each area)
  • Read all online documents identified in the ISC2 CBK chapter bibliographies
  • Read all online documents identified in the ISC2 CBK Suggested References for the ISSAP (I did not purchase any books other than the ISSAP CBK)
  • Downloaded the ISC2 Exam Outline for the ISSAP, searched for, and read, references to each section (focusing on NIST documents, Whitepapers, and RFPs)
  • Downloaded and read the Jake Eliasz CISSP-ISSAP Loose Notes, thanks Jake!
  • I also revisited the CISSP study material (Sunflower Study Guide & the Shon Harris CISSP All-in-One book, specifically the end of chapter Quick Tips)
    Test Question Preparation

I utilized both the ISC2 CISSP & CISSP-ISSAP phone apps to run test questions.

Taking the Test:

You must be focused and relaxed.

I started by doing some deep breathing exercises and repeated those about every 25 questions. This helped me relax, focus, and take my mind off the previous set of questions.

• Read the question. Read the question again. Read the question a third time.
  • Read the possible answers.
  • Read the question again.
  • Select your answer.

Good Luck!

21 Replies
ScottGibbons
Newcomer I

Thank you for the information. Which CISSP-ISSAP did you use and did you feel it was helpful?

Thanks again,

Scott

DWayland
Newcomer II

Scott -

I believe you are asking about the ISSAP phone app.

I used the Professional Practice Test ISC2: CISSP-ISSAP - 2018 iPhone app for questions.

I found it helpful for identifying areas that I needed to continue to build out my knowledge.

I don't feel the questions reflect the questions on the test, but rather the topics and depth of knowledge needed for the test.

- Dave

ScottGibbons
Newcomer I

Thank you Dave!

Sonny_2
Newcomer II

Thanks Dave

StephanB
Newcomer II

Congrats! There aren't many ISSAPs out there.
DWayland
Newcomer II

Thanks Stephan.  It was a tough test, but worth it.  The study truly increased my knowledge of the subject matter in a meaningful way.

Cousy14
Newcomer II

Dave,

Thanks for the helpful tips. Does the ISSAP test use an adaptive format like the CISSP? I'm not looking for any specific details about your test or anything just wondering about the format.

Alex

DWayland
Newcomer II

Alex -

The ISSAP test was not adaptive, it was the classic straight number of questions.

Good luck!

Dave

112NextLevelPro
Newcomer III

Congrats on the pass!  I will definetly be using your study method when I look at testing for this cert.