Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FZ09
Newcomer II

Going to start studying - From People Who Passed Which Books Should I Buy / Test?

Thank you very much in advance! I realize this might be answered but I am trying to get the most up to date information possible based on the test that's currently out there. My plan is to study books and then tests for two months then give it a try.

25 Replies
j_M007
Community Champion

My experience was that everything is grist for the mill. If you are studying from works later than 2015, the time of the revision of the domains from 10 to 8, you should be good.

The thing is truly to understand the domain, the fundamentals. What are the basics? Because the exam is adaptive that creates an advantage for those who have a broad-based knowledge.

My suggestion is:

1. Make a study plan.
  2. RTFM and fully understand the topics and subtopics.
  3. Drill yourself on as many questions as you can. The trickier, the better. The exam tests how you can puzzle out issues and find the the "Truth(y)".
  4. I read it forwards one, and then I read it from back to front.
  5. Find (or create) a study group.
  6. Repeat.

Best!

FZ09
Newcomer II

Still reading my book but I been taking breaks here and there and seen some questions on ISC2 code of ethics and the book I have Official Study Guide by Sybex does not mention this - or at least I have not seen it - is this still a part of the 2018 test?

j_M007
Community Champion

Oh it is there all right; and it is so much more important than ever.

Ethics means a lot of things to a lot of people, and I hope others will join the discussion.Security professionals face ethical dilemmas all the time as they serve their principals and their principles!

FZ09
Newcomer II

Got it and I agree esp when you find someone has deleted logs to cover up a mistake (which one of my peers has done in the past). Thank You!

j_M007
Community Champion

Ouch! Sometimes it's better to say "Sorry," and eat your humble pie.

Ethics in and of itself, is a fascinating study of moral philosophy and is the basis of civilization (laws, business, social (antisocial) behavior.)

We got our notion of "the good" and "harmony" from Aristotle in Nicomachean Ethics; but ethics have been in all societies from the beginning. It's the glue that cements trust; so when ethics and trust are diminished, everything suffers.

And to bring it back to (ISC)2, I am certain you'll see a question or two about it, given it's importance to the infosec world.

Best!

FZ09
Newcomer II

Greatly appreciate your feedback and 100% agree. Good references 🙂