cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fyzaan
Newcomer II

Going for exam on Monday Any tips ?

Professionals,

I am going for SSCP exam on Monday and have studied Darryl Gibbson book and questions in CD given and I am working in IT industry for 10 years and also know basics of IT security.

Any tips or recommendations ?

Faizan

13 Replies
Baechle
Advocate I

Faizan,

Yes.  Relax.  Let your brain refresh.  If you're confident enough in the material that you studied and were earning passing scores on the mock exam, then you have this.

Enjoy the exam on Monday.  Treat it like a game.  If you start getting stressed out, take a deep breath and recenter yourself.  Don't let the exam environment shake you.  Remember this moment, before you went into the exam when you were confident.  It's about the knowledge you gained, not the test.  The test is just a game.  The same game you played on the mock tests when you "won" with your passing scores.

- Eric B.

Beads
Advocate I

Keep calm and relaxed. Try to schedule exams in the morning before any other, particularly work related, distractions come to haunt you.

Do do any last second studying right before the exam as this too becomes an unnecessary distraction. If you are prepared to sit for the exam you should only need a light review of any real content to help you feel reassured your ready. This is a confidence builder instead of a last second panic to cram one last fact into your head.

Eat a healthy breakfast with plenty of protein while avoiding sugar and junk carbohydrates. You don't need a sugar rush followed by a metabolic drop in blood sugar (crash) during an exam. Slow and steady is good here. Caffeine in whatever form can be helpful as well. Me? Yes, I function well on an overdose of strong coffee - whatever works or doesn't work for you.

Prepare to mentally 'own' the exam rather than be shy or afraid. Be prepared to crush the exam attitude.

Again, if your ready, your ready.

Good luck and report back in when it over.

fyzaan
Newcomer II

Great. Thank You. I will post my experience Monday evening.
fyzaan
Newcomer II

Coffee for sure and thanks. Will share my experience.
fyzaan
Newcomer II

I am wondering they mentioned about experience 1 year. How do they validate ! I mean do i need to carry anything else other than my IDs like driving license passport?
Baechle
Advocate I

That’s after the exam, when you’re notified you pass. Then you go through an experience/education audit-or choose the Associate of (ISC)^2 for a year.
fyzaan
Newcomer II

I have passed the exam or atleast this is what I assume 🙂 from report given to me which says “You have provisionally passed SSCP ....” Can someone help me understand what does it mean and what next. I am interested to see my score and performance by each domain as I am looking forward for CISSP now.

Regarding exam experience I have gone thru 20-30 exams from different vendors like Microsoft, Cisco, Vmware etc. but this one was different because whatever you read or learn the questions are not going to be simple but to test your depth and understanding. Atleast this is what I feel.

Faizan

Baechle
Advocate I

Faizan,

@fyzaanwrote:
I have passed the exam or atleast this is what I assume 🙂 from report given to me which says “You have provisionally passed SSCP ....” Can someone help me understand what does it mean and what next. 

It means that you achieved a passing score based on the CAT assessment of your answers.  Your exam may be audited to determine if there were any anomalies, and is pending a quality control check by an actual human at (ISC)^2.

I recommend you begin getting together the information that you need to submit your experience/education for endorsement.

Congratulations!

Sincerely,

Eric B.

fyzaan
Newcomer II

Thank You. I believe while refereeing to credentials that mean an experience letter from organization where i have worked in security domain and my Resume/CV ? I am sorry if it is a stupid question.

Faizan