Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seaside
Newcomer I

Failed CISSP - big time disappointment

I read many posts from people who failed the new CISSP adaptive exam. I myself failed it on 3/5/18.  I expected to do 250 questions but I was very shocked that I got knocked out after 99/100 questions.  I asked the proctor whether I was given the wrong exam. The proctor explained to me that because it is an adaptive exam the so it stopped because I didn't answer a certain number of questions correctly; I was absolutely horrified what I experienced.  I could not sleep all night after the exam day, I've been studying for it for over 3 months and I scored between 77% - 85% of dozens of practice tests of over 3,000 questions.  I went beyond by reading front to back cover of the Sybex - 7th Edition book and I completed all the chapter tests as well as all of the online practice tests that Sybex offered me and I did well. In addition I also went through all of Cybrary training videos, figuring that with all that studying I was well prepared to take the exam.  Not to mention that I have a master degree in IT and in Information Assurance field with the company for over 9 years.

I find the adaptive exam questions and answers are so abstract that I feel my English comprehension isn't good enough for it. I have reached out to ISC2 for their support and advice. I am so sad and disappointed that I am not sure if I ever want to take any test in the adaptive format. 

111 Replies
raisy
Newcomer I

Hi Amanda,

Below was my study plan but I failed the exam in April 2019, I am looking to study again as I had family issues but I want to come back to track. Could you please advise what should I be doing this time?

thank you

Here was my study plan which I followed: 
1. Started studying in November 2018 with Kelly Handerhan videos
2. Completed Sybex book 3 times cover to cover until March 2019.
3. Completed 11th hours 3 times until March 2019
4. Practiced  Sybex questions which were close to 1200 and scored 60% in first attempt and second/third attempt during the month of March was 75~78%
5. Completed Boson practice test and scored 65% during first attempt and second attempt was 75%
6. Completed Mc-Graw Hill practice test and scored 60% during first attempt and second attempt was somewhere close to 70%
7. Thor questions from past three months which I felt was easy every time I tried.

In addition to above during the last month of March I studied 11th hour, prashant memory map and sunflower notes two times at-least. I also practiced some practice test from my friend's bootcamp "kalpnex".

clementdupuis
Newcomer II

Good day, Amanda,

It seems you are always studying at large. I think it is time for you to
focus on what you don't know.

Look at your exam results and focus on the domains you were below
proficiency. What score did you get and what were the domains proficiency
levels?

It seems you have plenty of resources and did plenty of studying but still
came out short. Do not put too much pressure on yourself, treat the exam
just like another practice test.

Best regards

Clement

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Clement Dupuis, CD*CCCure Owner and Founder
Chief Learning Officer (CLO) and Security Evangelist
Owner and Founder of the CCCure Family of Portals
GCFW, GCIA, Security+ 301, CEH V7, CCSA, CCSE, + 12 others

*For support or queries send an email to: Support@CCCure.Com*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintainer of :

The CCCure Learning Portal - Find the best Security Tutorials

The **NEW** CCCure Quiz Engine

Knowledge sharing and giving back to the community
=========================================
Our quiz engine is at https://cccure.education
Our Learning Portal is at https://cccure.training
raisy
Newcomer I

cissp_test_report.jpg

raisy
Newcomer I

thank you for replying so quickly, please see the attached result.

tellsplatte
Newcomer II

Now all you need to add is studying the conceptual part. Check out Greenblatt's training videos. I believe it's $100 for his latest videos (search his website and request them).

raisy
Newcomer I

thank you! is it worth buying those videos?

Should I read official CBK or do the same what i did last time?

d46j48fx
Contributor I

Hi @raisy ,

Firstly, disclaimer:  I passed the CISSP in 2017. 

My resources (obviously get the newest editions of these books, unless trusted sources indicate otherwise)

My core books were the Syngress CISSP Study Guide 3rd Edition (Conrad) and the Sybex Official Study Guide 7th Edition (Stewart). 

My secondary references (when I wanted to get a deeper/clearer understanding of a concept, especially when I got a practice question wrong) were (in order of liking): Official Guide to the CBK 4th Edition and the ubiquitous All-in-One Guide 7th Edition by Shon Harris (RIP). People have commented that the CBK is dry, dry, dry 🙂 I personally found it to be a more engaging read…BUT WARNING…the index (IMO) left alot to be desired! Personally, I bought but did NOT read Shon Harris’ book apart from the occasional cross-check. Personally, I found it WAY TOO DEEP for the exam, BUT it IS an excellent on-the-job reference.

For videos, I *highly* recommend Kelly Handerhan's CISSP course on Cybrary it's free (well...it used to be), it's GREAT and has a concise focus.  Plan to watch these videos twice…once now and once within 3 days of the exam.  You will need to allow yourself about 16hrs to watch the complete set once.

For in-depth videos, I would check out Larry Greenblatt's CISSP 201x series on Youtube (30hrs of video). You do have to pay for them and they are DEEEEEP, but they are a great resource. I can provide contact details if needed.  I bought his CISSP set and CRISC sets.

Alternatively, there is David Miller's CISSP Certification series on SAFARI. Again, you'll have to pay to view them but they are also an in-depth resource.

Hope this helps!

raisy
Newcomer I

wow!! Let me get back to my Syebx 7th edition as its been few months for now, I am gonna use CBK on the side as well. will watch kelly along larry. thank you so much for all this.

d46j48fx
Contributor I

Please get the *8th* Edition as the study and exam content changed in 2018 and the book was updated accordingly.  BTW, for those who are not aware, the Sybex book is the Official Study Guide.

clementdupuis
Newcomer II

The 8th edition is one of the few recommended study guides by ISC2.

ISC2 finally came out with its 5th edition as well.

It took almost a year after the CBK was released but it finally came out.
Unfortunately, they removed all of the questions from the book and you now
have to buy a separate book with questions.

So the 8th edition is a better deal.

Clement

*---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Clement Dupuis, CD*CCCure Owner and Founder
Chief Learning Officer (CLO) and Security Evangelist
GCFW, GCIA, Security+ 301, CEH V7, CCSA, CCSE, + 12 others

*For support or queries send an email to: Support@CCCure.Com*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maintainer of :

The CCCure Learning Portal - Find the best Security Tutorials

The **NEW** CCCure Quiz Engine

Knowledge sharing and giving back to the community

*DO YOU WANT VIDEO RECORDING FROM WITHIN YOUR CHROME BROWSER?*

Use LOOM a great video recording tool that is easy to use and integrated
within Chrome:

Get your own copy of LOOM, click HERE now.
=========================================
Our quiz engine is at https://cccure.education
Our Learning Portal is at https://cccure.training