cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prashanth
Newcomer I

CISSP exam failed today | 07-Oct-2017

Hi All,

I took my CISSP exam today and failed with very bad score 460/1000. I have Started Studying from last December 2016 and took exam today (07-Oct-2017) but failed. 

Below are the study materials I have used and all the practices questions I worked out in understanding of each questions however I have failed with very bad score.

1) CISSP CBK 4th Edition Official Book.

2) CISSP Sybex 7th Edition.

3) CISSP Sybes Official Practice Questions book and Application (Both Same Question Bank).

4) Cybrary CISSP Online training Videos.

5) CISSP Sybex Online Practice Questions.

6) CISSP Boson Practice Questions.

7) CISSP 60 Seconds YouTube Practice Questions.

😎 Syngress cissp practice tests

I am writing this blog to know where I went wrong and wanted to know which study material I need use.

Even if I take any fresh practice questions likes in GoCertify and Skillset, I would be getting more than 85% score.

Planning to retake probably in Jan / Feb.

Thank You...

Best Regards

Prashanth M

49 Replies
SteveMoran
Viewer II

Honestly, the Sybex book and the included practice tests set me up for a first time pass for the CISSP. Take the practice tests until you pass every one of them (if you haven’t yet). I do have years of InfoSec experience so maybe that helped me bridge some gaps. I wish you the best on your next try!
PrabhHelp
Viewer II

I wil help you please pm me prabh.mct@gmail.com

Yhopkins
Viewer

Hi there,

I’m glad to see you’re not giving up and already have plans to try again; don’t get discouraged. You seem to have plenty of resources, so I’m not sure you need more, but I used the Shon Harris CISSP book to get a deeper dive into topics that weren’t quite sinking in for me. I believe it was written to align with the domains prior to the most recent changes, but it is still an incredible resource. I also used the 11th Hour CISSP book closer to my exam. I would also try a different way of testing how well you know the material. Instead of, or in addition to taking practice tests, try explaining the topics to someone else. Sometimes simply taking practice questions can give you a false sense of confidence because the question sort of leads you to the answer, in a way. But, having to explain topics with no guidance can really test how well you know the material; my humble opinion, of course. Good luck to you on your next try!
sm
Newcomer I

I think spending more than 2 or maybe 3 months is just too long to try to retain the knowledge required for passing the exam.  Also it does not help that the exam questions are heavily abstracted to the point of borderline incoherency.  The questions are more about context than anything else, so really you just need to be in the right frame of mind to share the same context as ISC2.  At least that's what I noticed.

-SM

Forensicator
Viewer

One test prep technique that I use is to break the practice tests down into sections, which most do for you. For CISSP that would be the CBK areas. Take the first practice tests to see where you are weak, and use that as a study guide to prioritize your learning. Repeat the loop until you are scoring 100% in your weak areas. Also when taking the actual test, sometimes you get clues to the answers to past questions later in the test. If the testing format allows, you should make one pass through answering everything you know for sure and flagging those that you are unsure. Once through, go back and answer the ones you don't know. If you have an instinct about an answer, don't change it unless you are 100% sure it's wrong.
Rock
Viewer II

How do you know what your score was?

firepowr
Viewer II

Understanding the CISSP exam's approach to testing is just as important as the materials and concepts. In study materials I find questions that are broad or general tend to look for answers that are broad and general, rather than specific ones that focus on technology or processes.  The opposite case is also true.

When I studied for the exam I found myself injecting my personal experience every so often when thinking about the questions/concepts. Sometimes it's helpful and other times it's not. A good way to approach a difficult problem is asking yourself, "What is the exam looking for?".  Then if all else fails, you can revert to, "In my experience, what would I do?" 

Hope this helps.

fortean
Contributor III

FYI: the score is NOT given to those that PASS, but it is given to those that fail, accompanied by a list of domains in order of how you scored. This enables you to focus on your weaker areas to prepare for the next attempt.

--
Heinrich W. Klöpping, MSc CISSP CCSP CIPP/E CTT+
Glen
Newcomer I

Practice tests can be a great tool are a big hinderance. If you just study the paractice questions and answers until you can get them all answered correctly you will fail the real test everytime unless the practice test is stolen from the real exam. What I used to tell my students way back when I was teaching was, when doing practice test even if you know the correct answer you should break down all of the answers and not go on to the next question until you can state why the correct answer is correct and why the wrong answers are wrong. The wrong answers are there to distract you so they are valid items. So if you know what they are along with why they are wrong then you learn four things with one question or at least show you know four things from each question. Oh and you are double checking your self not just going by what the prcatice test says is correct. I have seen some of the practice test have the wrong answers.

I am also glad you are keeping at it. A lot of people do not pass the first time. Good luck next time.