cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DAM
Newcomer II

CISSP Exam fail 12/16/17

Hello ISC2 community,

I studied my a*# off for this exam, I have practical experience and yet here we are. I failed with a score of 678. This one hurts. I'm almost at my wits end when it comes to preparing for this test. Now the format has changed and from the sounds of it, the testing experience is going to be worse. For a test that's not supposed to be very technical, I had a lot of pinpointed questions when it comes to communication and network security. I will continue to pursue this certification, but any assistance from any of you will be greatly appreciated.

DM

31 Replies
Early_Adopter
Community Champion

Hi DM,

Sorry to hear that.

I'll start by saying that nothing specific can be shared about the exam, however you were very close(essentially 2.2% give or take for weighting). It really isn't a technical exam, but the understaning why's, are very important

There is a lot of advice on the exam prep in these forums, and I don't know what prep you took but here would be my plan of action if I wanted to retest:

1. First look at the Common Body of knowledge and try to work out specifically where you felt not so comfortable, particularly any acronyms you felt you didn't have a full handle on - it maybe that networking is something to look at - but there may be others;
  2. Try to shoot for a retest as soon as practicable while you are still fresh - but give yourself enough time to cover all of the CBK. Consider the materials you used first time round. Where they current? Did they explain well? Was there another that you might consider?
  3. Join a study group if there is one locally, or meet virtually, the camaraderie will help and you can work to test each other verbally. particularly with the test questions it helps to have people argue the rationale for an answer(the two CISSP exams I sat seven years apart were in my experience as much comprehension exercises as they were tests of security knowledge);
  4. It helps to talk about it with someone that sat the exam and passed, and is a peer. Reach out to someone you know and ask if they would mentor you through your study plan. It's probable that any of the active members on this forum will want to help you out. See who you like the sound of and ping them a private message. The very least I would expect from someone in their community is to have a listen and then recommend someone they think would be a fit.
  5. If you didn't take a review seminar it would be good to consider.

Lastly, it's a rigorous exam and there is no shame in sitting it again, if it was easily attainable well, they'd need to  invent another cert and you'd end up with certification inflation. So you are working towards something that has value.

Anyway, all the best and don't take it too hard, I know someone who failed something called P-Company three times and passed on the fourth attempt(and that really was a fair bit harder than the CISSP exam - in a different way).

MT

jordanpw
Newcomer III

Sorry to hear that, that's tough being so close and not getting it - but I agree with everything that Early_Adopter said - especially about re-taking as soon as you can while it's all still fresh. 

My only other suggestion - based purely on what helped me pass in September - is to use as many of the official CISSP materials as your budget allows (if you haven't already). I used the Kindle edition of the Official Study Guide, and also the CISSP Official Study app with practice tests and flashcards.

I found that doing multiple runs at the chapter tests in the study guide (and taking them until all the scores were at 85 or above) and working with the app as often as possible really helped to identify any weak topics, or sub-topics or even individual questions that for some reason were troublesome for me.

Anyway, best of luck when you re-take it.

DAM
Newcomer II

I appreciate your feedback. This is my second time taking the exam. I went to a boot camp last year (training camp) and took the exam at the end of it. I knew that I wasn't prepared then, but I figured taking it would let me know where I stood and what I needed to focus on. I was nowhere near passing then. I am on the right track, but it still stings being so close. 

DAM
Newcomer II

Thank you for your feedback. When you say official study guide, are you speaking of the Sybex 7th Edition Study Guide? If so, that is primarily what I used, along with a few other study tools as well. I've taken those chapter tests and bonus tests over and over, to where I can identify what the wrong answers are and what they would be the right answer to. This is my second time taking the exam. I went to a boot camp last year (training camp) and took the exam at the end of it. I knew that I wasn't prepared then, but I figured taking it would let me know where I stood and what I needed to focus on. I was nowhere near passing then. I am on the right track, but it still stings being so close. 

jordanpw
Newcomer III

Yes, I used the same Sybex 7th Edition. 

PJ-001
Viewer

I also wrote on 12/16 and got 695. 

I agree with the other responses to write and soon as possible, until passed.

Regards

PJ

nagarajan
Contributor I

Hi,

I can imagine how you might be feeling. I know some people who failed despite having hands experience in security. From the break of up marks as well as your experience of the domain from the test, you can focus on domains that you scored less and felt a bit tough to comprehend the questions.

I appeared for the exam in January 2014 and just 2-3 days before the exam I learnt that there was a change about the type of questions but I ignored that to the best of my capability and also during the exam there was a point where I thought I won't be able to pass the exam because the questions were not matching with what I had practised. What came to my help was the understanding of the domains and my experience which helped me to understand the question and come up with the best answer.

I used ccure site to practice the questions domain wise as well as i took 250-300 questions in one setting from all domains to see how many I can attend peacefully :). Practice and understanding of the topic is important.

Cheers,

Raj

Regards,
Nagarajan Viswanathan (Raj)
darie17
Newcomer II

@DAM: I only used the following study Tools:

I did not use the CBK at all (which I would not recommend). But do insist on those practice tests, because they helped me at least to figure out where my weak points are. Do not do the tests to early, because you risk learning the answers by heart (without wanting to!). So, take your time, read the Official Study Guide (and the CBK, if the time allows), go through the practice tests in the end at least twice and you should have a good chance to take the exam.

One more personal recommendation: relax the day before the exam, let the stuff settle down, avoid any stress with traveling to the examination center. Me, for example, I booked a hotel only 300 m away from the testing center, had a great start in the day with a small breakfast (although I live 40 km away). It helped a lot: no stress with public Transportation or parking spaces, no stress with waking up very early and being tired and so on. Totally recommend it. For such an exam like CISSP, you need a clear head and all the energy you've got.

You can do it, trust me. Just stick to it!

Cheers,

darie17

Finch
Newcomer I

One of the best resources I (and my supervisor who took the CISSP last month) used to study is actually free. Kelly Handerhan's lectures on https://www.cybrary.it/course/cissp/ are excellent. I felt like everything I needed were in her lectures and they put you in the correct mindset to take the exam.

They're not too long, I would recommend going through the videos, especially since its free.