Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicwilliams
Viewer

About to take the exam

I just paid my $699. Going to taking the exam on 13 April. Any advice?

19 Replies
denbesten
Community Champion

The best thing you can do to improve your score is to ensure your brain is working at "peak performance".

Spend the evening before the exam doing things you enjoy...  early movie, dinner with spouse, extended workout at the gym, etc.  Then, get a good night's sleep, a good breakfast and leave plenty of driving time.

If getting up early for one last review will help you get in the zone, then by all means do it.  However, if it would build stress, get a few more Zzz's instead.

Also, save the alcohol for the post-exam celebration. 

denbesten
Community Champion

A few thoughts while you are in your final weeks of studying.

1. PersonVue has a sample exam on their web site (or at least they did) that will introduce you to the testing software. It has questions like "What are the seven wonders of the world?".
  2. Visit the test center a week or so before so you know how to get there, where to park, and where the restroom is.  Take a moment to introduce yourself to the receptionist and ask any questions you may have (e.g. what about cough drops (yes), therapy pigs (no), what is the restroom procedure, etc.)
  3. Build up a 1-page cheat sheet.  Don't download one; it needs to be for the stuff you think you are weak on.  Review it daily and remove things that have become obvious.
  4. Memorize the code of ethics and apply it to yoru answers.  One detail that seems to be overlooked is that the canons are a prioritized list.
  5. Your goal is to select the answer that (ISC)² believes is best, not your favorite.  You will be better off if you think from the perspective of your boss's boss and not from that of a technician.
  6. Human life or safety is pretty much always the best answer regardless of the question (take with a grain of salt Smiley Happy).
Bertikus
Newcomer III

When I took it, it was from the management perspective.  I was a technician at the time and struggled with that.  The best solution for a tech is usually the most expensive.  The best solution for management is directly related to ROI (return on investment).  Get out of the tech mentality.  Safety first then money second.  Don't think risk elimination, think risk mitigation.

Also, for the test, bring aspirin take it whether you need it or not at the 30 minute mark.  it will keep the headache of focusing on a monitor to 2 to 3 hours away from you.  Don't be afraid to look away.  Research indicates that a change in thought process or diversion every 15 to 20 minutes will help maintain focus on the subject.

denbesten
Community Champion

If monitors give you get headaches, you might discuss computer glasses with your optometrist.  They solved mine.

rick3
Newcomer II

Good Luck!! I'm also scheduled to take the exam on 10 April. I found a very helpful site that I'm using to prepare. It has over 1000 questions and provides a graphical breakout of your weak areas. I like the site. You can find it at http://www.cisspexampractice.com. For six month access it costs $59.

Also, check out the Study Note and Theory site at https://www.studynotesandtheory.com/ for CISSP info. This site has a lot of good info to include videos and tips. You won't be disappointed. I looked at the site a little and found it very useful.

Bertikus
Newcomer III

Working gives me the headache, monitors accelerate it.  I've thought about the glasses but haven't met anyone who uses them.  Do they really help?

khale426
Newcomer I

I passed last month.  Studied hard by reading Shon Harris, RIP, and taking her chapter tests.  Had ISC 2 official practice test and took those as well.  Previously, went thru Sari Greenes' video which was HUGE help in understanding how this exam words the questions and that she's figured it out.

My head a hurt a lot from studying, I was worried, but took a long walk before the test started, didn't cram or look at any material the day of exam.  Was real nice to get the congrats letter when it printed!   

rick3
Newcomer II

Congrats!! Did you study for several months?

khale426
Newcomer I

Nope.  Studied about a month or so, went real hard for 3 weeks leading up to the test.