Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rastatinto
Viewer

Why CC is still not listed to become a ISC2 Associate?

Is this certification going to be part of the ISC2 portfolio to be an Associate?

Is it going to be recognized as well by the DoD?

3 Replies
emb021
Advocate I

"Is this certification going to be part of the ISC2 portfolio to be an Associate?"

WHY???  There is no sense in that.  The reason for ISC2 Associate is for certifications that REQUIRE EXPERIENCE but you don't yet have that experience, so you want to "keep" your score until your get the experience.

CC does NOT require experience.  There is no reason to get Associate status with the CC.  Once you pass the CC, you will GET the certification.

"Is it going to be recognized as well by the DoD?"

Yes, am sure it will be.  And am sure ISC2 wants it to be, as this will ensure that companies and government bodies will start asking for it.  BUT it needs to be ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 certified to get on that list.  That requires TIME.  Several years in fact.  ISACA's CDPSE cert, that came out in 2020 and still isn't 17024 certified.  Once CC is 17024 certified, then it will get DoD recognition.

Am sure someone from ISC2 can add to this and how long this takes.

For those not aware, ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 is a certification of personal certification.  All the major certs are so certified (ones from CompTIA, ISACA, ISC2, SANS/GIAC, etc).  And its due to 17024 that certs have characteristics like expiring (needing either retest or CPE to renew), get updated, separation of training and testing, etc.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
JoePete
Advocate I

@emb021 wrote:

WHY???  There is no sense in that.  The reason for ISC2 Associate is for certifications that REQUIRE EXPERIENCE but you don't yet have that experience, so you want to "keep" your score until your get the experience.

Some good detail in there about 17024. I'd say another distinction - if I have this correct - is that (ISC)2 associates are not (ISC)2 members. However, CCs are. While that might seem incongruous (either group could have no experience, but at least associates pass a higher threshold exam), membership has certain privileges, including access to resources, voting, office holding, etc. So while the industry sorts out where the CC falls, at least as part of the (ISC)2, you get something more out of being a CC than an associate.

As reference, Paul Jerimy has a great site that gives a sense of how certs are viewed. While these don't map exactly DoD or industry recognition, it's pretty comprehensive:
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/

emb021
Advocate I

Well, they just announced that CC is now ANSI/ISO/IEC 17024 certified.

Was really surprised by this and I didn't expect it this quickly.

BUT now that its certified, then the DoD can add it to their list.  I don't know how that process works or how long it takes.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow