cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
etan74-IT
Viewer

WHAT CERTIFICATION SHOULD I PERSUE?

Hi Everyone!

I am currently serving AD in the DoD, and am going to be transferring out in a little over a year. I have over 6 years of experience in COMSEC Management, Networking and Transmissions Systems. I currently hold a Top Secret Clearance. I want to get into the Cybersecurity field. Everything I look up on the internet or hear from people seems to be contradicting about what certifications I should be perusing, or whether I should go to college or not. I am eager and willing to put in the work for whichever direction would boost my career and chances of getting hired, but I am struggling to see which direction I should pursue. Any advice on what certifications or education I should pursue would be very helpful.  Thank you in advance!

5 Replies
Lamont29
Community Champion

Thank you for your service Etan! We always look for experienced cybersecurity personnel at SAIC, especially when they hold government security clearances. Do you hold any industry certifications right now? Check us out. Use my link: https://rolp.co/WHrEB , which will enable me to track you throughout your process when you are ready.
Lamont Robertson
M.S., M.A., CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, CDPSE, MCSE
denbesten
Community Champion

@emb021 wrote:

You said: "I have over 6 years of experience in COMSEC Management, Networking and Transmissions Systems".

I have no idea what that is.  While I agree that pursuing either CC and/or Sec+ is a good idea (along with Net+), I would recommend you take a look at the CISSP and see if you might already meet the experience requirements for it.  If so, I'd recommend getting it over the CC.

I concur with Michael's advise, especially that one is best to gain the required experience before taking the exam.  There is no training quite as effective as OTJ.  (On-The-Job).

You might also consider that starting with the (currently free) CC is a way to gain experience with (ISC)²'s testing methodology.  You'll learn things such as where the testing center is, if your ID is valid, how they phrase questions and the ever-important select the "best" answer because more than one will look right.

emb021
Advocate I

You said: "I have over 6 years of experience in COMSEC Management, Networking and Transmissions Systems".

I have no idea what that is.  While I agree that pursuing either CC and/or Sec+ is a good idea (along with Net+), I would recommend you take a look at the CISSP and see if you might already meet the experience requirements for it.  If so, I'd recommend getting it over the CC.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow

Hi @etan74-IT,

I would recommend to start with the (ISC)² Certified in Cybersecurity certification as it will give you a good foundation of cybersecurity field. Currently this certification is free of charge till the end of this year. (https://www.isc2.org/1mcc)

Also, I encourage you to have a look on this awesome security certifications map made by Paul Jerimy, it will help you to find the certification related to the cybersecurity area you would like to specialize in.
https://pauljerimy.com/security-certification-roadmap/
KevGra
Newcomer I

Hi @etan74-IT 

I was in your shoes recently and somewhat still am in those shoes. I would recommend looking at the job descriptions for the role you want and focus on getting the certs and education that is required for that job. I took network +, security + and finally rested on getting the CISSP. I'm working on a BS in Cybersecurity Management and Policy because some of the higher-level positions look for a BS of some sort. I hope this helps a little.

KG

etan74-IT
Viewer

WHAT CERTIFICATION SHOULD I PERSUE?

Hi Everyone!

I am currently serving AD in the DoD, and am going to be transferring out in a little over a year. I have over 6 years of experience in COMSEC Management, Networking and Transmissions Systems. I currently hold a Top Secret Clearance. I want to get into the Cybersecurity field. Everything I look up on the internet or hear from people seems to be contradicting about what certifications I should be perusing, or whether I should go to college or not. I am eager and willing to put in the work for whichever direction would boost my career and chances of getting hired, but I am struggling to see which direction I should pursue. Any advice on what certifications or education I should pursue would be very helpful.  Thank you in advance!