The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, part of the DOE research laboratory network, is the only national lab focusing on the design and advancement of renewable energy technology.
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), located at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Golden, Colorado, is the nation’s primary laboratory for research and development of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies. Our Energy Security and Resilience Center (ESR) has an immediate need for a DevOps researcher to provide strategic research leadership which leverages our cybersecurity research software and emulation tools.
The successful candidate will bring experience in performing research within a complex environment, with multiple stakeholders and parallel lines of investigation. Specifically, the role involves developing and applying software tools and platforms to cybersecurity for complex energy and related systems. The role involves regular collaboration with NREL’s domain experts in energy grids, thermal systems, human factors, communication networks, and especially cybersecurity. Highly effective communication skills are required, as the role requires regular interfacing with customers, project stakeholders, and colleagues. The successful candidate will use their experience writing proposals and collaborating with industry to bring funding and shape NREL’s research portfolio.
Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Public Policy, or a related field and 5 or more years of experience. Or Master's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Public Policy, or a related field and 3 or more years of experience.
Clearance: Must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE “Q” Security Clearance.
* Eligibility requirements: To obtain a clearance, an individual must be at least 18 years of age; U.S. citizenship is required except in very limited circumstances. See DOE Order 472.2 for additional information.
- Intermediate Linux skills
- Intermediate ability to utilize Git for source control
- Intermediate development skills in Python or Golang
- Demonstrated experience leading complex research
- Demonstrated experience working with a diverse team of colleagues
- Strong interest in cybersecurity and its applications in the energy domain, including some experience with energy systems within NREL’s mission space
- Demonstrated expertise in public speaking—such as research presentations, business development, or customer management.
- Demonstrated expertise in technical writing and editing, as represented by an appropriate publication record
- Demonstrated experience writing funding proposals
- Demonstrated experience interfacing directly with industry (public or private sector) to translate research outcomes into real-world impact
- Ability to hold and maintain a security clearance.
- Docker - The ability to create Docker custom images to meet project needs.
- System Automation - Familiar with Ansible, SaltStack, or similar system automation technologies.
- VSCode - or similar IDE.
- C++ - Familiar with or object-oriented programming language.
- Git - Continuous integration and deployment.
- Container orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker swarm)
- Virtualization orchestration (Openstack, Minimega)
- Software defined networking (Openvswitch)
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing input from multiple collaborators and/or stakeholders into a cohesive project vision
To be considered, please apply via the following link: