Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielle_brown
Viewer II

Entry Level Cyber Security Job Openings

Hi All! I have completed my Certified in Cyber Security Certificate (CC) and am eager to find an entry level job in the industry! I come from a data analyst background (3 years) and was looking for an analytical position, but am open to anything entry level. I want to get into the industry and continue to pursue certificates! I am leaning towards Risk. All the job postings I see, even for entry level, require years experience. Are there any jobs available I can break into with just my entry level certificate? Thank you in advance!!

3 Replies
JoePete
Advocate I

@danielle_brown wrote:

All the job postings I see, even for entry level, require years experience. Are there any jobs available I can break into with just my entry level certificate?

There are tons of jobs - now whether they pay well or pay at all is another story. There's any number of non-profits that would love a little free help. Many don't have the resources to stay on top of regulatory requirements, best practices, or even understand a risk assessment. While doing this work might not turn a lot of heads regarding your resume, you'll get some credit toward the 45 CPEs you have to earn every three years to maintain your CC/(ISC)2 membership, some exposure to what the job really is, and experience using whichever risk frameworks you choose.

One question I always ask candidates at hiring is "Tell me about when you got hacked or something failed miserably." I've had people look at me like it's a trick question, but there are three things I learn from that question:

1. Do you have real experience? If you haven't been in a position to fail, then I am not sure you really have work experience.
  2. How transparent are you? If you try to sugarcoat or deflect mistakes, I'm not sure I can work with you.
  3. How do you respond to bad days?

Now, I may be a survey of one, but to me, when I say "experience," that's what I want to be able to find out.

emb021
Advocate I

Are you networking with your local infosec community?

Look for local chapters of ISSA, ISC2, ISACA, etc and attend their meetings and talk with them.  Also look for any local infosec meetups and the like that may exist.  For instance, in my area we have a group called HackMiami.  And there are groups associated with Defcon around the world, usually called "DC" followed by the phone area code.

Networking is one of the best ways to find jobs vs just looking for posted positions.  I got my current role thanks to networking with my predecessor over several years.

To be honest, if you are looking to get more into risk, ISACA would be a good bet.  One of their certs is CRISC, which is about risk & IT controls.

---
Michael Brown, CISSP, HCISPP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CDPSE, GSLC, GSTRT, GLEG, GSNA, CIST, CIGE, ISSA Fellow
AndreaMoore
Community Manager

This blog may be helpful: https://blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/2023/04/isc2-supports-cyber-newcomers.html

Definitely register to attend some of the webinars we mention in that blog as well!

ISC2 Community Manager
danielle_brown
Viewer II

Entry Level Cyber Security Job Openings

Hi All! I have completed my Certified in Cyber Security Certificate (CC) and am eager to find an entry level job in the industry! I come from a data analyst background (3 years) and was looking for an analytical position, but am open to anything entry level. I want to get into the industry and continue to pursue certificates! I am leaning towards Risk. All the job postings I see, even for entry level, require years experience. Are there any jobs available I can break into with just my entry level certificate? Thank you in advance!!