cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z_iqbal1987
Newcomer I

CISSP with General IT Experience

Dear Team,

I am interested in CISSP certification but i dont have experience in Security but having 7 years experience in general IT like routing switching and on desktop server level. i am also certified from Microsoft, Cisco and completed my CEHv9 recently. could you please advise will i be eligible if i go for CISSP certification.

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies
nagarajan
Contributor I

Check out the Associate path - https://www.isc2.org/Certifications/Associate. 

Once you become an associate then you can work towards gaining the required experience to become a CISSP.

Nagarajan

Regards,
Nagarajan Viswanathan (Raj)
tavilucea
Newcomer I

Your IT background is great as a foundation, but start getting that hands on experience with the security professionals.  In my industry Risk Management Framework NIST 800-37, is very important to find people with experience.  I just hired an IT guy with many years of IT experience and i need that experience to help fill the gaps in my team.  His experience with understanding and implementing security controls is what i was looking for.  You are probably are ready gaining experience in security so i suggest see what skills you have developed and how they relate to the security industry.

z_iqbal1987
Newcomer I

Thank you so much for your valuable response, i will start my work to get associate designation.

could you please confirm which book is good to study for cissp exam sybex study guide or CBK.

Thanks once again

nagarajan
Contributor I

I studied using the official study guide from ISC2. The AIO(all in one) by Late Shon Harris s also very popular as the examples and language is very simple and easy to understand but I am not sure if they are updating the guide from time to time or not.
Regards,
z_iqbal1987
Newcomer I

Thank you for your reply, as i can see this book was last updated in 2016 so i think it is not updated time to time. what about other official guides.

nagarajan
Contributor I

The official guide from isc2 is updated as and when they make changes to the course. Since you are starting your journey in security, read Shon Harris to understand the many domains and topics then you may take up the official study guide.

In addition to the books see if you can take up some training on CISSP.

Nagarajan

Regards,
z_iqbal1987
Newcomer I

Dear Team,

Thank you for your quick response.

as i can see the new exam outline has been launched in this month so my question is if i prepare for the exam by using official text book by adam gordon CBK (Fourth Edition), sybex study guide for questions and watching some videos will it be enough. and also confirm the official text book CBK fourth edition is the latest edition and will be the right book for exam preparation?

Thanks 

nagarajan
Contributor I

It is vital to understand all the domains and the contents clearly otherwise you won't be able to understand the questions in the exam.

For someone who is new to security but has been in IT, it would be prudent to use Shon Harris's AIO to get a good understanding of all domains and then go through tutorials that explain all the domains clearly with examples and then go with the official study guide.

The exam questions will be a mix of points from multiple domains and many people don't understand the questions and hence get it wrong and fail. So its very important to understand the domain practically.

To gauge your knowledge and readiness for exam you may like to subscribe to (https://www.freepracticetests.org/quiz/index.php). Here you can test your knowledge on each domain and also take up moc exams to see if you can attend 250 questions on all domains.

Regards,
z_iqbal1987
Newcomer I

Thank you so much for your valuable guidance, could you please suggest me edition of AIO shon haris book, whether sixth edition will be ok for me or seven. could you also please share me link for this book. thanks